Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Epoisses at Market Basket

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Epoisses at Market Basket

by Paul Winalski » Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:20 pm

I was browsing the cheese aisle at the local Market Basket (a NH and Mass. supermarket chain) when I noticed that they had Humboldt Fog, Great Hill Blue, and Epoisses! All rather upscale for them. We'll have to see if this is a one-time experiment or a permanent change.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Epoisses at Market Basket

by Jenise » Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:09 pm

How fun! They're not in the Kroger empire by any chance, are they? Our local Fred Meyers suddenly have great cheese departments (well, sudden as of two years ago) because Kroger partnered with Murray's Cheese out of New York. Murray's ability to mass distribute might play into your windfall, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:16 am

Jenise wrote:They're not in the Kroger empire by any chance, are they? Our local Fred Meyers suddenly have great cheese departments (well, sudden as of two years ago) because Kroger partnered with Murray's Cheese out of New York. Murray's ability to mass distribute might play into your windfall, too.
I'm quite thankful that our Fry's (Kroger) shops out here have gone the full Murray. And they mark cheese down 50% as soon as it hits some arbitrary date (usually when things like Harbison are just about perfectly ripe).
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Mar 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Bill Buitenhuys wrote:
Jenise wrote:They're not in the Kroger empire by any chance, are they? Our local Fred Meyers suddenly have great cheese departments (well, sudden as of two years ago) because Kroger partnered with Murray's Cheese out of New York. Murray's ability to mass distribute might play into your windfall, too.
I'm quite thankful that our Fry's (Kroger) shops out here have gone the full Murray. And they mark cheese down 50% as soon as it hits some arbitrary date (usually when things like Harbison are just about perfectly ripe).

The Woo Hoo's!!! We shop those, too. And it's always the GOOD cheeses, the stinky cheeses, the soft-rind cheeses. Cheddar can sit there forever but the cool stuff we adore is fragile. I've eaten more Humboldt Fog in the last two years than all my life until then thanks to the Murray-Kroger deal. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Mar 26, 2018 2:52 pm

The Market Basket chain, local to Massachusetts New Hampshire, and Maine, is privately owned by Arthur T. Demoulas.

-Paul W.