Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cassoulet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Cassoulet

by Barb Downunder » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:21 am

Jenise recently mentioned cassoulet which is probably one of the reasons I am planning it for Sunday lunch. The other reason is I have confit duck which should be shared ie used LOL

I am thinking of fishy canapés to start, plus a salad of some kind.
I have smoked salmon on hand, smoked mussels,

Cheese and fruit to finish (l just received a shipment of artisan cheeses)

Would appreciate thoughts on canapés, salad and any side that might suit the cassoulet.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Cassoulet

by Jenise » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:36 am

Your smoked salmon canapes sound like a perfect start. Will you turn it into some kind of spread that goes on toast?

Salad: I'd say it needs to be bright, simple and a little rustic, like torn romaine, and possibly some fresh herbs, with a vinaigrette made from just oil, vinegar, pressed garlic and salt. No other complications.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:05 am

I was thinking rounds of toast or bread or pastry, with a little cream cheese, drape with Salmon in simple rosettes, garnish with, dill or caviar or capers.
Simple green salad sounds good. But now I’ve come home with some punnets of coloured mini tomatoes, red, yelllow, orange, black, they look so beautiful. ..... they don’t need to be incorporated onto the menu but they are so pretty......
Actually I have recipe somewhere for toffee tomatoes (like toffee apples on a stick). Maybe I could use them in the fruit and cheese course hmmmm...
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:24 pm

Toffee tomatoes? My head reels. Can you explain the method?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Fri Mar 30, 2018 2:50 am

Just make a toffee, stick a toothpick in a cherry tomato, dip in toffee to coat, allow to set.
I know it is a little weird but you get the sweet crack of the toffee and then the sweet/umami tomato.
Did you have toffee apples as a child, an apple on a skewer dipped in toffee/caramel and allowed to set. Here they were most often seen at fundraising events with all the other home made goodies. We loved ‘em as did the dentist.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:25 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:We loved ‘em as did the dentist.

Sure did, all of that. Here it would usually be a slightly stretchy/soft brown caramel on an apple, though I remember some clear red coatings wherein the sugar mixture had been taken to the hard candy stage--very shiny and bright.