Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Paul Prudhomme's San Francisco Rice

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: Paul Prudhomme's San Francisco Rice

by Bill Spohn » Fri May 18, 2018 8:25 pm

Jenise - I shall look for this recipe as a side on this year's terrine entry...... :twisted:
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat May 19, 2018 2:55 pm

Shows how regional food identifiers change meaning over time.

Any idea what the 'San Fransisco' is supposed to signify? There were Italian communities there and something about the 'spices' in the recipe might seem vaguely Italian (as opposed to tasteless Anglo Saxon rice). But if one wanted to add a regional label to signify Italian influence, it would not be SF.

Today of course, SF ____ evokes very different images. Fresh, vegetarian, maybe Asian inspired, and most definitely overpriced.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat May 19, 2018 4:37 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Any idea what the 'San Fransisco' is supposed to signify?

Well, you're probably right that it's been diluted with time, but even back in the Rice-A-Roni era, North Beach was a famous Italian neighborhood, San Francisco's "Little Italy." Joe DiMaggio was one of its native sons, and so was SF Mayor Joseph Alioto. Back in the day, at least, the idea of an Italian San Francisco treat didn't seem odd at all to me.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat May 19, 2018 7:51 pm

Robin Garr wrote:

Well, you're probably right that it's been diluted with time, but even back in the Rice-A-Roni era, North Beach was a famous Italian neighborhood, San Francisco's "Little Italy." Joe DiMaggio was one of its native sons, and so was SF Mayor Joseph Alioto. Back in the day, at least, the idea of an Italian San Francisco treat didn't seem odd at all to me.

There are still remnants of North Beach left in the form of a few old Italian butcher shops, restaurants, and such. That's not much compared to the thriving community of earlier days.

When I think of old school San Francisco food, the first thing that comes to mind is cioppino, which came out of San Francisco's Italian-American community.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat May 19, 2018 8:37 pm

Ok, so that makes sense.

I might have thought that NY or NJ were easier associations with Italians in the US, but that could be my Nyc bias!
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun May 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Rice-a-Roni was derived from an Armenian pilaf recipe. I think the "San Fransisco Treat" slogan is just leveraging the fame of the location where the dish was invented. With its steep hills and cable cars, San Fransisco evokes a certain mystique in the Midwestern and Eastern US.

San Fransisco has such a big diversity of ethnic neighborhoods that I don't think there is a unique "San Fransisco cuisine" in the mode of New Orleans. But just as Boston is noted for its baked beans and clam chowder, San Fransisco is famous for its cioppino and sourdough bread.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 20, 2018 5:29 pm

How interesting, thanks for those facts Robin.

I actually really like the flavor, in particular when flavored with curry powder or mushrooms. I even bought some of the Uncle Ben's pre-flavored mixes to take on our next camping trip. Really handy, since we don't have the space for a lot of seasoning.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun May 20, 2018 5:40 pm

Jenise wrote:How interesting, thanks for those facts Robin.

I even bought some of the Uncle Ben's pre-flavored mixes to take on our next camping trip.

With Aunt Jemima's syrup for Plantation Pancakes you'd have the complete set of politically incorrect foodstuffs! :twisted:

I took a look at their site and was surprised to see the range of products - guess I haven't been watching. I was also pleased to see that they were aware of the non-PC nature of their brand and attempted to soften it by promoting old Ben to chairman of the board!

https://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/30/busi ... a5&ei=5070
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun May 20, 2018 5:44 pm

To be clear, I bought the mixes you have to cook (the parmesan/butter and spanish rice are both quite good). I believe I've seen they make pre-cooked stuff, too, just heat and eat--won't go there.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon May 28, 2018 9:35 pm

Your recipe left off the measurement for oil. I guessed 2 Tbsp when I made this as a side with Sunday dinner. It was well seasoned, but I thought it was a little pepper forward. Next time I will add a few more herbs. Tasted to me like something was missing.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 30, 2018 1:46 pm

I typed it straight from the book, but I'd say that's about right. Pepper-forward is probably a good description of Paul's seasoning in general. My friend's version didn't strike me that way, but your pepper might be fresher.
Previous