Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

There's a new love in my spice cupboard

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

There's a new love in my spice cupboard

by Jenise » Fri May 11, 2018 8:05 am

Known as Fox Point seasoning in Milwaukee and Lake Shore seasoning when sold in Chicago as a "neighborhood blend", this product from The Spice House is a beautifully balanced and pretty blend of finely ground shallots, garlic, onions, scallions, salt and green peppercorns. I actually visited the original store in Milwaukee last week and fell in love when I sprinkled a bit on the back of my hand. I could just taste the next fresh white fish I cooked at home coated in it. Wednesday night's halibut proved that to be a very very good idea.

Generally not one to buy spice blends, btw. Sure there are many good ones, but I'd rather create my own. This, however, is exceptional, and perfect for seafood. Btw, to my amusement I see that Penzey's also sells a Fox Point blend and the ingredients are the same. But looking at a pic, Penzey's version is too much big flakes and lacks the refinement of Spice House's finer grind.

https://www.thespicehouse.com/lake-shore-drive-seasoning
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Re: There's a new love in my spice cupboard

by Tom NJ » Fri May 11, 2018 9:04 am

Huh. I remember seeing this in the Penzy's catalog and thinking they just made up the name for one of their proprietary blends. I had no idea it was an established combo. Well then, I'll have to pick some up if I ever see it on offer again. Thanks Jenise!
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri May 11, 2018 12:25 pm

Note I'm especially recommending the Spice House version, not Penzey's (who I'm a fan of, but there's is more like herb flakes where the Spice House shakes from the bottle like a salt). But oh my, so good! I made a scallop and tomato ceviche last night for dinner and this seasoning added a lovely, mysterious note to otherwise familiar flavor , and the green color against the white of the scallops was extremely attractive, too.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Fri May 11, 2018 4:34 pm

Duly noted!

Ah, sweet mystery of spice at last I've found you.......

:D
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."