Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Glazed Hakurei Turnips

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Glazed Hakurei Turnips

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:17 am

We've been experimenting with various preps for these little succulent turnips as a supply has just come on line from out local organic farm. We tried a recipe available on Epicurious and loved it. I'll refer you there rather than copying it:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food ... ips-368274

You cook them in a frying pan with butter, and sugar (some turnips can have a sharp edge to the taste although these do not) and then after reducing the sauce and removing the turnips, you finish by wilting the turnip greens in the pan, adding salt and plating it all..

Simple, quick (about 15 min.) and very good.

One intriguing comment is that you can also use larger turnips and red radishes. The farm also grows some excellent radishes - we've been going through a couple of bunches a week with butter and salt - and I intend to try the recipe with part turnip and part radish!
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: Glazed Hakurei Turnips

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:59 am

Thanks. CSA starts this week, and the expected share includes Hakurei Turnips.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Glazed Hakurei Turnips

by Jenise » Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:47 pm

Another great thing? Cook the radishes without the greens and serve with the main course protein, and wilt the wet greens with just a little salt. Serve them as a warm starter salad topped with drizzles of lemon juice and good olive oil, then feta cheese.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov