Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

White peppercorn question

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

White peppercorn question

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jan 30, 2007 1:14 pm

I was shelf gawking a few days ago in our largest oriental market, when I spied a small 3-4 oz jar of Vietnamese white peppercorns. They seemed ridiculously cheap at $1.69 so I bought one. The peppercorns seem to be several shades whiter than either of the ones sold by Penzey's but I have no idea of the quality, My white pepper grinder has the Penzey's in it and I will wait to see. My reason for posting this is to see if any of the experts here have any experience and or opinions of/about Vietnamese peppercorns.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: White peppercorn question

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:07 pm

Just try them Bob, and if it doesn't appeal, well, at that price you can let Saigons be Saigons. :roll:

(This is what happens when you're sitting in an airport with nothing to do.)
And now what?
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

by Martha Mc » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:25 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:Just try them Bob, and if it doesn't appeal, well, at that price you can let Saigons be Saigons. :roll:

(This is what happens when you're sitting in an airport with nothing to do.)

:lol: Very funny
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:33 pm

Gary, I had thought that I would smash some with the mortar and pestal and use them on the next pork loin I cook in my ceramic grill. I just was wondering what kind of quality is in the Vietnamese peppercorns.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:06 pm

Bob,

Maybe you ought to try it on something quicker & faster just for a test? Better than having it ruin an entire roast.

I'm not saying that it would ruin it, but just in case.

Richard
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:20 pm

Good point Richard! And why is it that we never see you in Sunday chat anymore? Plus I was hoping that chef Joe might chime in since he is (1) of the experts, and he has Vietnam experience to boot. I bet he was not into white pepper when he was gathering that experience though. :-)
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:04 pm

Bob, this subject came up a few years ago when I was struck by recipes that called for white or black pepper. Robin, I think, educated me -- use white pepper for white dishes, black for darker dishes, on the grounds of aesthetics.

I find the black a bit more peppery -- Janet wants me to use only black pepper because she likes the taste.

The International Trade Forum has been following the Vietnam/pepper story for several years. Vietnam is now the largest pepper producer in the world; there were fears Vietnam would sell poor quality pepper, but that doesn't seem to be true.

Enjoy!
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:46 pm

Bob Ross wrote:The International Trade Forum has been following the Vietnam/pepper story for several years. Vietnam is now the largest pepper producer in the world; there were fears Vietnam would sell poor quality pepper, but that doesn't seem to be true. Enjoy!

Bob, that last line is exactly the kind of info I was hoping to get from somebody. I should have expected it would have been you with the answer. Thanks.
Bob Henrick