Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Cheese and butter--not so bad, maybe?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Cheese and butter--not so bad, maybe?

by Jenise » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:48 am

My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Cheese and butter--not so bad, maybe?

by Robin Garr » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:51 am

We rehabilitated butter and eggs in this household years ago! Cheese never did go on the no-go list. :D (I do have a strong tilt toward organic dairy because it should be antibiotic-free, but that's a different story.)

Haven't refined carbs pretty much replaced natural fats on the bad-for-you board? I'm not about to give up bread, pasta or rice, but I can't help noticing how a dinner of those goodies reflects itself on the scales on the following morning. :cry:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:40 pm

Yes, pretty much. I don't avoid anything per se, but it's true I've cut back on a lot of things I didn't think twice about eating 30 years ago. Cheese has moved from a possible daily snack to occasional luxury. And something else--we just don't eat as much as we used to, quantity-wise. Nothing deliberate, but in the last six months I've noticed groceries piling up. That's because I don't shop differently, while in fact we consume a lot less in two meals per day. It's 9:30 a.m. here and I've been up since 6:30--haven't eaten anything yet, and I'm not hungry. That's why most days we have just lunch and dinner, and on the rare occasions we decide to have breakfast we skip lunch. Bob drinks a glass of milk daily (1%), but I don't have any regular dairy. Just not a fan.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 20, 2018 12:43 pm

Meant to add: but if I could have ONE food item in this world turn into something with the dietary impact of, say, water: it would be butter. Top of my wish list. What it does to the carbs I love (but try to limit) and vegetables is nothing short of magic.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:25 pm

You are making me feel a...little....better. After a rather strenuous and epic cycling weekend, I sometimes get...really hungry. I ate way too much butter right before lunch. On "healthy" high fiber bread, but still. :lol: :oops:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach