Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

LA Times Dining Critic Jonathan Gold dies

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

LA Times Dining Critic Jonathan Gold dies

by Robin Garr » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:42 pm

He was only 57, taken with horrifying speed by pancreatic cancer. Jonathan Gold did the job right. He'll be missed.

http://www.latimes.com/local/obituaries ... story.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: LA Times Dining Critic Jonathan Gold dies

by Jenise » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:11 pm

I didn't know this--my jaw's on the floor.

What a dirty rotten shame--Jonathan Gold is as precious as the metal in his name. I live in WA now but as an L.A. native have been able to appreciate from a distance the way he completely upended Los Angeleno's attitudes about food, schooled by years of fine dining snobbery by Ruth Reichl and Irine Virbila, and elevated the status of great ethnic cooking found in strip malls and pocket neighborhoods like K-Town. His attitude didn't just change L.A., I think it changed the nation.

What a huge loss.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: LA Times Dining Critic Jonathan Gold dies

by Jenise » Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:21 pm

http://www.latimes.com/food/jonathan-go ... story.html

Poignant and moving tribute by Ruth Reichl. However, she got one thing wrong. She said that L.A. now is nothing like it was when she got there in 1984. Truth is, it WAS, all the seeds were there--she just thought it was something else. But what she's right about? Jonathan got it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov