Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Norwegian farmed salmon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Norwegian farmed salmon

by Jenise » Wed Jul 25, 2018 2:16 pm

Long long ago, when we first met, Bob and I ate a lot more salmon than we do now. What we fell in love with was Norwegian farmed salmon. Mild, never fishy or strong tasting, with attractive fat lines. Used to get it, when they had it, at Bristol Farms. I hate strong, fishy fish.

And most salmon tastes kind of strong to me. It didn't in Alaska when it was pristeen fresh, but since I left Alaska I've gone back to only eating it on rare occasions. Even here, where we get it wild. Most of the time, it's just a bit too strong.

So a few days ago at Trader Joe's I saw something new: Norwegian Farmed Salmon. Very pale, with the distinctive fat lines I remember. TJ's doesn't usually carry fresh fish, but this salmon is cut into pieces and somehow cryovacced. I would normally avoid pre-packaged fish like the plague, but caved on this because of the Norwegian thing and prepared it last night.

OMG. SO good. It's exactly what I remember. Not a trace of fishiness, tastes freshly caught. We'll be eating more salmon!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Norwegian farmed salmon

by Dale Williams » Wed Jul 25, 2018 3:14 pm

Well, I think all Atlantic salmon is milder than any of the Pacific varieties (king/chinook, coho, sockeye etc). I've never really seem a taste difference between Norweigan vs say Faroe Islands/Scottish, Canadian, etc. I tend to buy farmed salmon with noted source and no antibiotics (and therefore never buy Chilean) . But as long as fresh, most Atlantic tastes the same (and is paler with fat lines).
Maybe you just mosrly see Pacific species.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Jul 25, 2018 4:19 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Well, I think all Atlantic salmon is milder than any of the Pacific varieties (king/chinook, coho, sockeye etc). I've never really seem a taste difference between Norweigan vs say Faroe Islands/Scottish, Canadian, etc. I tend to buy farmed salmon with noted source and no antibiotics (and therefore never buy Chilean) . But as long as fresh, most Atlantic tastes the same (and is paler with fat lines).
Maybe you just mosrly see Pacific species.

Probably do--Costco carries very pretty farmed Atlantic salmon. But I never buy it because I can't deal with the quantity.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:55 pm

The Francophile and I are fond of salmon and have it every couple of weeks. It's always farmed salmon, from Tasmania. The fish are, as I understand it, Atlantic salmon. Fishmongers always have it on hand, fresh, and our butcher down at the village shops sells cryopacked salmon fillets.

I'm with you, Jenise: I don't like strong tasting "fishy" fish either. The taste of Tasmanian salmon manages to be rich without being overpowering or "fishy".

The Francophile usually gets the job of cooking it, because he's perfected the way of getting a nice brown toasty crust on both sides of the fillet without drying it out in the middle.

BTW is it the fashion in American restaurants to serve salmon underdone, so it's barely going opaque in the middle? We get that a lot here - maybe a bit less now than 10 years ago, thank goodness. I can't stand underdone fish.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:19 pm

Yes, Tillie, underdone fish is the usual here.

I suppose I have to speak up for fish with vigorous flavor. Not flavors of spoilage, of course, but naturally oily fish: mackerel, sardine, bluefish (=>barramundi), even The Dreaded Anchovy. These are fish that support strong preps. Try bluefish with mustard sauce, mackerel in tomato sauce, sardine grilled over charcoal (makes quite a flame!).

Works well with the sturdiest white wines in your cellar, too.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:58 pm

What Jeff said. I love sushi, yet I don't like my salmon rare. Mostly because the undercooked part doesn't taste as good to me as the cooked part, but of course I don't like it overdone either. Just get it opaque, and we're good.