Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

When Your Patty Slides Off Your Spatula.....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

When Your Patty Slides Off Your Spatula.....

by Bill Spohn » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:37 pm

Just got the latest Lee Valley mailing and apparently, unknown to me, there is a generation out there who are amazingly inept at keeping a meat patty on a surface, as a special tool has been devised to prevent the mass hara kiri of death seeking patties.

Does this indicate a mass deterioration in hand eye coordination? Or does it fit into the same thread that I started on Alton Brown's useless Amazon food tools? Anyone fess up to owning (or wanting to own) one of these? Will it do anything a pair of BBQ tongs wouldn't?

They also offer double prong skewers (to prevent the dreaded rotation of food strung on the single prong type), a two piece bottle opener with bin below for caps to fall into (another aid for the ill coordinated unable to apprehend a loose bottlecap?) and a telescoping campfire fork, presumably for those unable to bend down to retrieve their dropped weiner from the fire. as well as 'Losable Pocket Knives' in a 5-pack for those who can never remember where they left things.

Did I miss when this company switched over to catering to the geriatric and senescent customer? I expect to see a new product in future catalogues - name tags for gardeners that say "Hello, my name is ______. If lost please return to........."

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: When Your Patty Slides Off Your Spatula.....

by Jenise » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:24 pm

Apparently, there are neanderthals who think standard kitchen tools are 'girlie' but if it comes from a hardware store it's a real tool. This was made for that guy!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:50 pm

This is for your next BBQ!!

https://uk.beefer.com/
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:56 pm

while the burger lift is ridiculous, I've spent years double-skewering shrimp and other items I didn't want twisting while grilling. Actual 2 prong skewers? Might be a buyer
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:20 am

Dale Williams wrote:while the burger lift is ridiculous, I've spent years double-skewering shrimp and other items I didn't want twisting while grilling. Actual 2 prong skewers? Might be a buyer

I get what you're talking about and used to do that, but I now have cast iron skewers that are jagged and flat--things don't twist. Love them!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:56 am

I've got some flat ss ones (we call them sword skewers) that don't twist.
But I'm also thinking of things like squid where you're trying to keep flat, 2 pronged (flat) skewers would be cool. Not rushing out to buy, but could see utility.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:51 pm

I also use flattened skewers, and if I have things that still want to rotate, I just use a pair of them . Just grab the end of one skewer and flip when you want to turn the whole thing.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:35 pm

I use bamboo skewers, which the fire will eat if I leave them long enough. I grab the food with tongs to turn them, and the skewers just make sure everything comes along.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:14 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:This is for your next BBQ!!

https://uk.beefer.com/

Wow....

But one can go to a steak house many times before the cost of a Beefer is reached.