Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

NY Times adds a full-time California critic to its roster

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

NY Times adds a full-time California critic to its roster

by Jenise » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:04 am

It's about time, really. The NYT has so many readers outside of the state--I'm one--who have never lived in New York and many of whom have never even stepped foot in New York City, that it's almost a surprise to read this. As in, if they want to be the only news we ever need, why did it take them until now to broaden their scope?

I'm unfamiliar with Tejal Rao, though. Anyone else follow her?

The New York Times Has Named Its First California Restaurant Critic

By Chris Crowley

It’s a first for the paper. Photo: New York Times

This morning, New York Times “Food” editor Sam Sifton announced, in a tweet, that the paper of record now has a new critic. In a classic New Yorker move, though, the Times’ “Food” section is going to California for the first time — and so is its new critic, Tejal Rao. In a press release, Sifton elaborated that Rao will write about restaurants “both fancy and not” across the entire state. Her gig will begin in the fall, after she moves to Los Angeles.

This is a first for the Times, which has been publishing reviews from around the country by its critic Pete Wells as well as reviews of Australian restaurants by Besha Rodell. It’s also a return to criticism for Rao, who joined the Times as a reporter and columnist after stints as a critic for Bloomberg and The Village Voice. She won the James Beard Craig Claiborne Distinguished Restaurant Review Award at both outlets, first for the Voice in 2013 and then for Bloomberg in 2016. Congrats to Rao, a friend of Grub and an extremely talented, deserving writer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: NY Times adds a full-time California critic to its roste

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:51 am

I can't say I follow her, but the last couple of years she has been on the alternating rotation for the NYT Sunday mag food section, and I've generally enjoyed her columns. Seems to have a particular affinity for stories about immigrants adapting (or clinging to) their roots, and writes well (with good recipes at end)