Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Let's swing BOTH ways

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Let's swing BOTH ways

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:05 pm

A recent thread asked what you like on a pizza.

My question is what don't you like on a pizza?

I'm not crazy about sausage, although it's edible to me. I don't like gimmicks such as barbecue chicken, roast beef, and Mexican taco-style pizzas and the like. But the ultimate dislike for me is anchovies. PU!
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

Re: Let's swing BOTH ways

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:30 pm

I'm with you regarding the lil fishies...no can do. I also don't like onions unless they are seriously caramelized and I've lost my taste for broccoli on pizza.
Oh, and shrimp..they have no place on my pizza. :D
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:43 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:A recent thread asked what you like on a pizza.

I'm not crazy about sausage, although it's edible to me. I don't like gimmicks such as barbecue chicken, roast beef, and Mexican taco-style pizzas and the like. But the ultimate dislike for me is anchovies. PU!

I love anchovies, and so does Mary! Fresh or canned, but you've got to use the canned ones on pizza. Or eat them right out of the can ... I could do that, yes I could.

I don't care for pepperoni on pizza much, though - they turn into rubbery little cups holding pools of grease. Broccoli doesn't belong on a pizza (although broccoli rabe could), and as much as I love shrimp, I don't see them on pizza either.
Worst of all, though, is pineapple. Pineapple on pizza is a perversion.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:46 pm

Thank you, I knew I was perverted. Buhwahaha! Perhaps you'll see me on America's Most Wanted Pizza.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:57 pm

Robin Garr wrote:
I love anchovies, and so does Mary! Fresh or canned, but you've got to use the canned ones on pizza. Or eat them right out of the can ... I could do that, yes I could.

I don't care for pepperoni on pizza much, though - they turn into rubbery little cups holding pools of grease. Broccoli doesn't belong on a pizza (although broccoli rabe could), and as much as I love shrimp, I don't see them on pizza either.
Worst of all, though, is pineapple. Pineapple on pizza is a perversion.

I completely and totally agree regarding the pineapple. How that ever became a popular pizza topping is beyond me. I've had a lot of stuff on pizza and almost all of it is at least pretty good. Pineapple is the one thing that just does not work for me.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:40 am

Soggy veggies of any sort, sauerkraut, tofu, pineapple ...
And now what?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:05 am

Olives!

There. I've said it. My name is Cynthia and I am an olive hater.

And really, no anchovies please!
no avatar
User

MtBakerDave

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:53 pm

Seattle

by MtBakerDave » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:05 am

Canned corn. Seemingly a fairly common pizza topping in England.

I'm not a big fan of pepperoni on pizza either - what Robin said about that.

Specialty pizzas I can tolerate - I knew a place that did a lovely green apple, gorgonzola, walnut pizza, but I draw the line at taco pizza. No taco filling, and NO refried beans!

Dave
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:54 am

I used to hate anchovies, but in the past 5 years or so my tastes have changed and I do enjoy them on occasion. Black olives yes. Green olives no. No other veggies except fresh tomatoes and onions. No cheese except mozarella and maybe some grated romano. I've seen cheddar on pizza. :roll:
no avatar
User

John Tomasso

Rank

Too Big to Fail

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:27 pm

Buellton, CA

by John Tomasso » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:56 am

Yeah, olives. I don't hate olives, but I hate them on my pizza. Plus, most pizza places buy the cheapest, crappiest tasting olives. Why bother?
"I say: find cheap wines you like, and never underestimate their considerable charms." - David Rosengarten, "Taste"
no avatar
User

JoeArmano

Rank

Wine geek

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:35 am

Salem, NH

by JoeArmano » Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:02 am

When I was in florence I ordered a sicilian style pizza (since my family is originally from Sicily, polizzi generosa). I was shocked when I started to eat it and found anchovies in it.. yuck!!!

Ciao,
Joe A.
no avatar
User

Maria Samms

Rank

Picky Eater Pleaser

Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:42 pm

Morristown, NJ

by Maria Samms » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:05 am

Oh I love Pineapple on my pizza! You guys don't know what you're missing.

I hate bell peppers...ugghhh, evil little veggies they are. I am also not a big fan of the sausage used on pizza.

I only like to have 1-2 veggies on my pizza at any time...otherwise the pizza is too soggy.
"Wine makes daily living easier, less hurried, with fewer tensions and more tolerance" -Benjamin Franklin
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:16 am

Maria Samms wrote:Oh I love Pineapple on my pizza! You guys don't know what you're missing..

Hmmmmm, la famiglia is thinking of revoking your N.J. Italian license! :lol:
And now what?
no avatar
User

Martha Mc

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:17 am

by Martha Mc » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:25 am

Maria Samms wrote:I hate bell peppers....

This reminds me. Many many years (well, decades) ago when I got married we moved that day from the D.C. area to a tiny town in the middle of Appalachian Eastern Kentucky (talk about culture shock!). Our first night out was at the local pizzaria (no chains in that little back woods town). As we were trying to decide what to get on our carry-out pizza, we were surprized to see mangoes on the list of toppings. We were shocked, who would ever want a MANGO on a pizza?!! We were equally surprised when the counter person was surprised that we had never heard of mangoes on a pizza. Is wasn't until about 7 years later we finally learned that mango was a local term for green pepper. :oops: However, I still am not crazy about mangoes/green peppers on pizza -- red pepper I like, though.
Other than green peppers, I'm pretty open to anything on a pizza, except pineapple and pepperoni (mostly because of the pepperoni grease boat effect). However, I won't eat "taco pizzas" any more than I would eat a pizza taco, nor will I go for a barbeque pizza, etc. I've had a pizza with broccoli on it and rather enjoyed it -- the broccoli had been par-boiled and sliced thinly so it didn't turn into hardened firewood and covered with a rich creamy white sauce and cheese. Not something I'd order on a regular basis, but a nice change.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:35 am

Maria Samms wrote:I hate bell peppers...ugghhh, evil little veggies they are.

How about green chile, a popular topping here?
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:44 pm

No ground sausage for me. Add to that...no fruit or anchovies.

Beyond that anything else is Ok..but I usually just order pepperoni...or pepperoni & jalapenos when I feel like fighting a ripping case of heartburn all night long.

Richard
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:18 pm

Only thing I don't like on my pizza is fruit.

Everything else including almost any meat, peppers, assorted cheeses and the occasional aquatic animal.
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:19 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:No ground sausage for me. Add to that...no fruit or anchovies.

Beyond that anything else is Ok..but I usually just order pepperoni...or pepperoni & jalapenos when I feel like fighting a ripping case of heartburn all night long.

Richard

I can understand a "no fruit" rule, Richard (I'm firmly in the "pineapple on pizza is a perversion")...but have you ever tried a Gorgonzola and Pear and roasted hazelnut thin crust pizza.

I'm tellin' ya...it's pretty wonderful stuff.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:21 pm

Oh I love Pineapple on my pizza! You guys don't know what you're missing.

Maria: Didn't say I haven't tried it, just that I can't stand it!

The worst one was a "Real" Hawaiian Pizza: Pineapple and Spam.

I know what I'm missing----and I devoutly hope I keep on missing it for the rest of my life.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:26 pm

OH MY GOD! THAT BOWLING BALL--IT'S MY WIFE!

No anchovies, please.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:34 pm

Corn and pepperoni. Whilst here, I have a big dislike for those thick slices of salami that delis enjoy serving up!!!
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:52 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:A recent thread asked what you like on a pizza.

Larry,
I can take or leave anchovies but we make homemade pizza regularly, both on the grill and in a 500 degree oven. You are missing something if you don't like sausage. My signature pizza is a pesto base with sausage and raisins topped mozarella cheese. We occasionally add pine nuts before the cheese. This is definitely an American Pie but the play of the somewhat spicey italian sausage and sweet raisins works miracles.
Walt
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:58 pm

Tried something strange two weeks ago and since have repeated it. I think there are three parts to a pizza, the dough, the topping base (ie pesto, grilled red pepper sauce, tom sauce etc.) and then the toppings. I have perfected the dough recipe but like to experiment with the base as much as the toppings. My favorite is pesto but recently used mashed sweet potatoes which had beened jazzed up with a good dose of butter. On top of this you add roasted root vegetables and a small amount of grated cheese and you have real winter fare that would turn Atkins over in his grave.
Walt
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:18 pm

Anchovies. Pineapple. Shrimp. Not much for pepperoni either but it can be okay in combination with other ingredients like lotsa pickled peppers. At least it has a certain symbiosis with cheese and tomato flavors which, pardon me, shrimp and pineapple do not. Merguez and eggplant--these ingredients actually do well with crust and tomatoes and cheese, but I'm just not a fan. If I ate pizza every day and was hungry to variation, maybe I'd go there. But as it is, pizza is a jones I give in to only very rarely, and these non-Italian variations just aren't going to take care of the craving.

Basically, I'm a traditionalist and furthermore I'm in the 'less is more' camp. I adore a plain cheese pizza (with nothing more than parmesan and dried or better yet fresh oregano on top) if the oven can brown the cheese without burning the crust, and everything else that gets added must justify the fact that it's taking up space where plain cheese should be. So I mostly don't like the kitchen sink approach where everything that's edible in other formats gets put on my pie. Thai pizza? Get out of here. Barbecued chicken? What, are you crazy? Broccoli? I can hardly think of a vegetable that belongs on a pizza less. Carrots maybe.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
Next