Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The Texas-themed auction dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The Texas-themed auction dinner

by Jenise » Fri Aug 31, 2018 2:17 pm

The Texas themed dinner is over! Here's how it went down.

TX-TableSetting.jpg

Every room/area in our home is a different elevation, and one of our guests has MS and is wheelchair bound, so we had to create a dining room in what is otherwise our den so he could roll inside through the back patio double sliding doors. Each guest's plate included a menu printed in the font of an Old West wanted poster. I served four fine wines, but for the first, the only white, for effect I bought and emptied out a 1 liter box wine and put the Oregon Sauv Blanc in that. It was called Liberty Creek, which I thought to be a good TX joke because Lyndon Johnson had a dog named Liberty. Only, turned out he didn't; that was Gerald Ford. OOPS!

TX-TexasToast.jpg

Amuse bouche: Texas Toast. A piece of cheap white bread rolled flat, crusts torn away, and rolled up around American cheese, Tapatio hot sauce, ancho chile powder and batonnets of seared 'hog belly', served in a shot glass with tomatillo sauce and pickled jalapeno peppers.

TX-ravioli.jpg

First course: Storm in the Gulf. Shrimp ravioli on Yellow Rose of Texas sauce (yellow tomatoes, onions, garlic, cream, gin, aleppo pepper) garnished with yellow pear tomatoes in a pesto vinaigrette.

TX-salad.jpg

Second course: A 'Murrican Salad. Romaine, clover sprouts, watermelon radishes, pecans, Oil Rig vinaigrette.

TX-white bread.jpg

No Texas meal is complete without a stack of cheap white bread.

TX-PrimeRib.jpg

Third Course: Cherry and apple wood smoked prime grade prime rib with onion, sage and potato gratin.

TX-cake.jpg

TX-cake slice.jpg

Final course: Old Homestead Chocolate Cake with chocolate debris, road dust, tire tracks.

TX-flowers.jpg

After the guests left, Bob Marley inspects the floral arrangements.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: The Texas-themed auction dinner

by Paul Winalski » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:09 pm

Wow, looks great!

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Aug 31, 2018 8:18 pm

Beautiful, Jenise. Love the wreckage on the cake! And what a pretty-looking slab o' beef.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:36 am

I wanna come to your house!,!
What a sensational meal, hope your guests enjoyed it.
Well done making changes to make the meal easily accessible physically for your guests, they sure were on a winner.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat Sep 01, 2018 8:08 am

That party looks like great fun.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:59 pm

Love the tire tracks!
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:43 pm

Mike Filigenzi wrote:Love the tire tracks!

That was the most fun to figure out. Local tire places weren't much help. Then I went out to the garage to put something away and saw Bob's dolly. BINGO. He took a wheel off, deflated it, gave it an antiseptic bath and we had a good print--then all we had to do was figure out an edible 'ink'. The easy solution was a jar of very thick fudge sauce from Trader Joe's diluted with a tiny bit of cold coffee.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov