Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Pasta/Potato Latkes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Pasta/Potato Latkes

by Jenise » Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:39 pm

This is a recipe from the Barilla website that intrigues me--I discovered it in the current Plate magazine which is devoted to Israeli/Jewish food world wide (a great issue). It's a latke but includes pasta (why, just texture? It says "fun", and fun isn't a flavor) and shredded celery root (that makes sense), but loving anything even remotely hashed brown-like, I'm going to try it. Just because.

• Servings : 24

These crisp latkes include BARILLA® Cut Spaghetti for a fun twist on the original.

Instructions
Step 1
Bring salted water to boil in steam-jacketed kettle or large stockpot on stovetop. Add pasta; cook as directed on package. Drain; spread pasta onto lightly oiled sheet pans
Step 2
Meanwhile, peel potatoes and coarsely shred in food processor. Transfer shredded potatoes to large bowl of cold water. Peel celeriac; shred.
Step 3
Drain potatoes well. Working in batches, spread shredded potatoes and celeriac onto clean kitchen towel. Roll up and twist to wring out as much liquid as possible.
Step 4
Combine cooked pasta, shredded vegetables, shallots, flour, baking powder, eggs and salt and pepper in large bowl.
Step 5
Heat 1/4 cup oil in 12-inch nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Drop 2 tablespoonfuls potato mixture into skillet; spread into 3-in. rounds. Reduce heat to medium. Cook 8-10 min. or until golden brown, turning once during cooking. Transfer to paper towels to drain; season immediately with additional salt.
Step 6
Repeat with remaining potato mixture adding more oil to skillet as needed.
Step 7
Garnish with green onions and pomegranate seeds. Serve with sour cream and apple compote.

Ingredients
• 8 ounces Barilla Cut Spaghetti
• 2 russet potatoes (about 1 pound)
• 1 celeriac, peeled, shredded and blotted dry
• 2 shallots, pureed
• 2 tablespoons baking powder
• 4 eggs, beaten
• 1 teaspoon EACH kosher salt and ground black pepper
• 1/2 cup vegetable oil
• Thinly sliced green onion
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: RCP: Pasta/Potato Latkes

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:13 pm

I eat someone else's pasta.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:46 pm

Jeff,
I boycotted Barilla for several years (which was a pain as Betsy and I prefer the Barilla plus to most whole grain esque pastas, and we are trying to limit the white starches), but a friend told me policies had changed, and I googled and saw articles about Human Rights Campaign saying "all clear."

I love latkes, and have had with celeriac and other root veggies included, but not pasta
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:11 am

Dale, I just checked HRC and, indeed, Barilla America is all clear. Presumably, the bigot still runs the home front? (And it's not like he's some ancient pill -- he's our age, give or take!)

In re whole grain pastas, we also prefer it to white pasta -- although you can always sell me spinach pasta. We have seen a lot of improvement in the marketplace. Stuff used to be so bad we would eat white pasta... but now we have two brands we like a lot: Luigi Vitelli and Bionaturae.

(And I'm sure there are other good ones out there, too, but these are usually available near me.)
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:08 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:I eat someone else's pasta.

So do I Jeff.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:30 pm

What Dale said. For quality, I still prefer Ronzoni and DeCecco, period, plus some of the smaller import brands, but in my area Barilla sells the most because they have the most shelf space.

But this recipe came from Barilla and I must give credit where due. Buy someone else's spag, and break it up to make your own fideos!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov