Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Pumpkin seed oil

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Pumpkin seed oil

by Barb Downunder » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:05 am

So, I came across pumpkin seed oil (in Aldi interestingly,odd tings turn up there from time to time)
It is an intense dark green, lovely nutty aroma and taste.
I’m thinking salad dressing, and with asparagus season nearly upon us I can feel a match happening there as well.
Anyone using it?
Any ideas would be appreciated.
I should check my Mexican books actually, I’m pretty sure it appears in that cuisine.
Hmm, might work with avocado as well.
And pumpkin ravioli.
Discuss. :)
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Pumpkin seed oil

by Robin Garr » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:30 am

I brought some pumpkin seed oil back from a trip to Slovenia in the former Yugoslavia, and I loved its taste. When it ran out, though, I found some in the export market, but it just wasn't the same. :( I haven't thought of it for years, but now that you mention it, Barb, I might look for some! I loved it best for salad dressings where its flavor could shine through. I didn't see it as a sauteeing oil.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:57 am

Hi Robin, it seems after some research to be popular in Central Europe, my bottle is made in Austria. And I’m sure as you say that it is NOT for sautéing. Made a simple salad dressing with it which was pleasant. I’m definitely thinking a dressing for asparagus, which has just started to appear I’m the shops. Maybe cider or sherry vinegar, or even go retro and use raspberry vinegar, pumpkinseed oil, emulsified with s&p and maybe some mustard, dress the sparrow grass with this and scatter with toasted or fried pepitas.

If you have Aldi stores nearby, look out for their German themed food specials weeks, which is where I came across it.

A quick check of Diana Kennedy and I came acrossONE recipe, and she actually describes how to extracts the oil from the seeds! FYI papadzules is the dish.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:07 am

Thanks for the follow-up, Barb! I was actually in the part of Slovenia that touches Austria, so that makes sense. :) Now I want to find another bottle!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:13 am

I brought some back from Austria, as well. They are very proud of the pumpkins that grow in Styria (southern part of Austria) so the oil season is a big deal there.

I think sauces and dressings are the way to go... a few drops in bean soup, a spoonful into pumpkin risotto, a drizzle over a fried pork chop....
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:45 pm

A big fan, always use liberally when in Germany.

As mentioned, vinaigrettes/dressings or as a finishing oil to drizzle on dishes are the two main ways to use. I especially like it because there is so much flavor (it's not a shy or subtle condiment) but it's delicate, savory, not sweet, and there is no salt/sugar.

Enjoy!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:45 pm

Also a fan, though haven't had any in my kitchen in a long time. And mine came from Austria too. My favorite thing do do with them was make a vinaigrette for grilled leeks, which I served as a starter course.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov