Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Cabbage braised in apple cider

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Cabbage braised in apple cider

by Jenise » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:01 am

Just read this on Food and Wine, and I'm drooling. I would love to have this for breakfast. And in fact, I have all the ingredients, I just might! I love cabbage. The recipe is from Tom Collichio.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
One 1 1/2-pound head of green cabbage, cut through the core into 6 wedges
1/2 cup chopped bacon (2 ounces)
1 medium onion, halved through the core and thinly sliced lengthwise
Salt
1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
2 cups apple cider
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
Pepper

Step 1
In a large, deep skillet, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the cabbage wedges cut side down and cook over moderate heat, turning once, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes total. Transfer to a plate.

Step 2
Add the bacon to the skillet and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until rendered but not crisp, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and a generous pinch of salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened and just starting to brown, about 10 minutes. Stir in the vinegar and simmer over moderately high heat until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Add the cider and bring to a boil. Nestle the cabbage wedges in the skillet, cover and braise over moderately low heat, turning once, until tender, about 20 minutes. Using a slotted spoon or spatula, transfer the cabbage to a platter and tent with foil.

Step 3
Boil the sauce over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat and swirl in the butter. Season the sauce with salt and pepper; spoon over the braised cabbage and serve.

Make Ahead
The cabbage can be prepared through Step 2 and refrigerated overnight in the braising liquid. Let return to room temperature before finishing.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: RCP: Cabbage braised in apple cider

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:43 pm

Replace that smelly vegetable with a hunk o' pork shoulder and I think you're on to something!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:36 am

Barbarian! Cabbage is wonderful.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:19 am

Sure, for stuffing a mattress!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:22 pm

We use a lot of cabbage in soups, and also often serve weisswurst accompanied by a locally made sauerkraut that is very old world and has a lot of bacon bits in it. Heat up the kraut, saute some thinly sliced white onion and you have a Teutonic feast (the weisswurst is also locally made).

I do not, however, indulge in zuzeln, the traditional method of eating weisswurst as it seems indelicate in public (the Germans snip off the end of the sausage and suck the stuffing out....)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:55 pm

Weisswurst--white veal sausage I believe? If correct, LOVE those. I recall well the first time I had them--served at breakfast in Solvang with some abelskivers. WOW.

I do lots with cabbage--typically always have a head in the fridge, it's a staple. So like last night, I was doing a rolled up potato thing I saw on Facebook. Loved the looks of the technique but didn't like the safely dull midwestern filling. So I went kind of Polish with my meat filling and upped the vegetable to meat ratio by adding two-three cups of thinly sliced cabbage, since I had a head on hand, to the pound of ground meat. The cabbage wilted down but improved the texture as well as changed the shapes of the filling--the strands, vs. the ground beef's pebbles, made more cohesive filling that wouldn't tumble out, and overall a more healthful dish. Lots of onion and other oniony things, plus several peppers, completed the seasoning and cheddar cheese made a great binder. It was divine.

I make cabbage slaws--cold and warm--all the time. But oil and vinegar only, no sweet mayo!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:09 pm

Jenise wrote:I make cabbage slaws--cold and warm--all the time. But oil and vinegar only, no sweet mayo!

Don't know if you can take sausage across the border, but if you can I can PU some weisswurst and kraut next time I see you

On the dressing for slaw, I hear your desire for oil and vinegar only, but sometimes other things work well too. I'm not much on sweet mayo either, but a coarse mustard and cider vinegar dressing works very well, no egg involved but a lot like mayo anyway, just not sweet.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:14 pm

Mustard's great, and I consider it part of the oil-and-vinegar club. No issues with it at all, just don't like that sweet white stuff.

Yes, we can definitely bring sausage over. Just no lamb or goat.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:22 pm

Do you practice zuzeln? :twisted:

There is a primer here (warning - not suitable for all members of the family!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V8t842jpOGg