Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Ice in your pizza dough? Who does this?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Ice in your pizza dough? Who does this?

by Jenise » Wed Oct 24, 2018 8:10 pm

And what is the benefit? I just read this instruction in a pizza recipe:

Step 5
Let the dough stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat the broiler. Place an inverted baking sheet or a pizza stone in the oven 8 inches from the heat. Invert a second baking sheet and dust liberally with cornmeal.

Step 6
On a lightly floured surface, use your fingertips to press 1 ball of dough into a 6-inch round, leaving a border around the edge and keeping the center slightly thicker than the rest. Use your palms to press the dough into a 10- to 12-inch round. Transfer to the cornmeal-dusted sheet and slide onto the hot sheet in the oven. Place 2 tablespoons of ice in the center of the dough and bake for about 8 minutes, until golden. Immediately sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cheese all over the pizza, drizzle with olive oil and season with pepper. Serve immediately. Repeat to make 5 more
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Ice in your pizza dough? Who does this?

by Rahsaan » Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:05 pm

Indeed. Seems like it would slow cooking/make the dough wetter, which impedes crispiness but maybe also gives it layers? Sometimes when my pizza is too thin and dry it can veer towards cracker consistency.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Ice in your pizza dough? Who does this?

by Jeff Grossman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 11:06 pm

I have not done it myself but googling around: the idea is to allow the edges to puff up while the center does not. Also, the surface in the center becomes wet and holds ingredients well.

One of the originators of the idea (though not exclusively, I think) explains it in this short vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L4K2-6jvfk