Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Zucchini breakthrough!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Zucchini breakthrough!

by Jenise » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:06 pm

A lot of people don't like zucchini. To many, it's tasteless. I tend to agree, but it's a healthy food so I do eat it while thinking it has nowhere near the flavor that yellow crook necks and patty pans do.

So last weekend I was making meatloaf with a zucchini side for a huge crowd. And as I stared at the 5 lbs of zucchinis on my cutting board I was at the crucial decision point--cut to spears and roast, or cut into rounds for a stove-top saute? I like the former best, but honestly didn't think I'd have the oven space for both zucchini and four meat loaves. And then I thought about color, how beautifully emerald the thin zucchini slices I prepare for vegetarian pizzas are because I dessicate them with salt prior to the bake. Then I thought, why not do that for a stovetop saute?

Indeed, m'lady, why not? So I did it. Salted in a colander to drain until the slices become pliable, then rinsing and pressing out every drop of moisture I could. Because the water's gone, the zucc slices sauteed very quickly in a wide and shallow 8 quart pot. In addition to having a pleasant thru-flavor of salt, the elimination of moisture concentrates the natural flavor and finds the hidden sweetness. Texture's greatly improved too--tender in the middle and crisp around the edges at the same time vs. the usual options of uniformly underdone or uniformly mush.

Here's what it looked like with the meat loaf:

zucchini.jpg
zucchini.jpg (91.46 KiB) Viewed 184 times
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 2:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Zucchini breakthrough!

by Robin Garr » Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:35 pm

I'm going to have to try this! I like zukes, but Mary does not, for exactly the reasons you stated. :)
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:56 am

NYC

Re: Zucchini breakthrough!

by Jeff Grossman » Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:47 pm

Ditto here: I like 'em but Pumpkin does not (and for those reasons).