Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

White truffle from Alba

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

White truffle from Alba

by Barb Downunder » Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:26 am

So, tomorrow I will be getting a white Alba truffle. Mm
I have cooked quite a bit with perigord type black truffles but never with these.
I will have 30 grams.
If you had to deal with this difficulty, what would you do?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: White truffle from Alba

by Jenise » Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:55 am

Lucky lucky you!!!

I'd go real plain where the truffle shines. Shaved onto a baked potato or pasta where the only other ingredient is butter. Maybe an omelet.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:50 am

Agreed; you don't cook whites, you apply them at the last moment to things. Jenise named the big three recipient plates in my book (though I'd say it: softly-scrambled eggs, baked potato or pasta tossed with butter (cream if you must)).

Gnocchi.

Risotto.

But I'd also consider a hot naan spread with just a bit of oil and nigellum seed.

How about a hot dog? :wink:
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:13 am

So, everything you suggest are the ways often used for black truffles as well.
To tired tonight to do anything other than inhale the perfume and tuck it away for tomorrow. Similar aroma profile but quite different to black. That doesn’t really make sense but. :?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:52 pm

Black truffles are fantastic, but white are amazing. I think we'd all prefer white if they were more plentiful and less expensive. More pungency.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:24 am

To join the chorus, white truffles are so amazing that always best to go simple with the accompaniment. My city wine group does a truffle dinner in late fall every year (except we skipped last year as quality was down, and prices weren't). Usually menu is soft-scrambled or sous-vide poached egg with truffles, tajarin ( egg tagliatelle - I think Ben uses 28 yolks for 500 grams flour) with truffles, then a brasato or something (no truffles). Whatever is left of truffles is shaved over his vanilla ice cream (I don't do dessert, but others like)
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:49 am

Barb Downunder wrote:So, everything you suggest are the ways often used for black truffles as well.
To tired tonight to do anything other than inhale the perfume and tuck it away for tomorrow. Similar aroma profile but quite different to black. That doesn’t really make sense but. :?

Yes, but, for example, black truffles can also be mixed into pates and terrines which you would never do with white truffles. Burgers, mac and cheese, a roast chicken (esp. if it came from Bresse), a simple sauce based on demi-glace, vol au vent (=>pot pie), all can benefit from cooking some truffle in.
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

by Barb Downunder » Sat Nov 03, 2018 6:25 am

Okay, thanks guys.
Dale everything you suggest reinforces the advice from Jenise and Jeff.
I have shaved some over buttery mashed potatoes and that was, delicious and gave us a good idea of the flavour profile. Yum, that was good.
So, having a kitchen day tomorrow to make some stuff for a fund raiser, so I’ll make some pasta and serves that for dinner with butter, Parmesan parsley and the remaining truffle shaved over at the end.
Preceded by some beautiful purple asparagus done somehow.