Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Popcorn

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Popcorn

by Barb Downunder » Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:23 am

Hi y’all
We are hoping to run some movies at our local hall during the main Summer season (seaside area)

I’m thinking to do popcorn to sell as part of the fundraiser, a regular selling item at the movies i believe. But not being a movie goer I have no idea of portion size. My gurgling has produced a small serve of between 6 and 11 cups! Seriously?? Good grief.
The pics on Australian cinema sites suggest a small might be 2to3 cups but no ones telling.
It is hard to come up with our price unless ican get a handle on size.
Also I’m thinking two sorts, butter and salt, caramel. Is that the way to go?

As always your input will be invaluable.
:D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Popcorn

by Jenise » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:22 pm

Barbara, here at the movies we usually have a choice of three sizes--small lunch bag size (personal), a bigger lunch bag size (maybe you share, maybe you don't) and tub/bucket (share!). But for other events, from a food service store one can buy red and white striped popcorn bags that probably hold maybe a cup and a half. It's a good, one-person snack size.

At the movies here we generally only have a choice of with or without butter. Caramel popcorn is a whole 'nother realm of snack, as is kettle corn in which salt and sugar are combined to make a very lightly sweet/salty snack. Delicious, btw.

Other cool things to do with popcorn? Curry powder in the butter. Olive oil instead of butter and herbs d'provence. Truffle oil and herbs d'provence (you could call it Chateauneuf Do Pop.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Nov 26, 2018 9:59 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:My gurgling has produced a small serve of between 6 and 11 cups! Seriously??

So, a cup of popcorn is about 1/2 tablespoon of unpopped kernels. Not so much as it sounds.

Here is a popcorn supply company website:
https://www.htmarket.com/popcorn-machin ... -bags.html

The classic little white bag of popcorn comes in 1 oz and 2 oz sizes.

Most theaters nowadays have increased the portion so I'm not surprised at 6 cups.

Well, there are about a million flavors of popcorn because you can put anything in the oil/butter, or fling on a drizzle of chocolate or coconut shred... I mean, it's limited only by what kind of a mess you're willing to make. 8)

So, does your audience want caramel? fennel pollen? truffle oil? simple syrup and jimmies? sriracha? If you can aerosolize it, it can be sprayed on.

For examples:
https://www.thepopcornfactory.com/indiv ... rn-flavors
https://www.shophorrocks.com/shop-2

HTH.
Last edited by Jeff Grossman on Tue Nov 27, 2018 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Nov 26, 2018 10:35 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:

Those are the basics, and you can't go wrong. For a treat, though, we love to toss hot popcorn with finely grated Parmigiano. Now, that's good! :)
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:52 am

Thanks folks, that is very helpful.
I’m thinking doing just the basic butter/salt and maybe chose a ‘themed’ other depending on what movie we are showing. And I think Maybe around 2 cup size in a plain brown wrapper LOL lunch bag.
I do like grownup popcorn, truffle butter, Parmesan,etc but I have to make some money for th e hall!!
The audience will be an unknown quantity as we will main,y be targeting the summer holiday makers, with,I hope a family focus.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:46 am

Jenise wrote:here at the movies we usually have a choice of three sizes--small lunch bag size (personal), a bigger lunch bag size (maybe you share, maybe you don't) and tub/bucket (share!).

The bucket comes with free refills!

Sharing? Heck no!
Decisions are made by those who show up