Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Marsoupial

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Fri Nov 20, 2009 9:06 pm

Northerm NJ, USA

Marsoupial

by Tom NJ » Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:14 am

Or, why I had one less course this Thanksgiving: https://tinyurl.com/ybzpd3un
"He ordered as one to the Menu born...."
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Marsoupial

by Paul Winalski » Tue Nov 27, 2018 3:15 pm

The marsupial version of Brunswick Stew?

-Paul W.

P.s. - Is it true that chicken tastes like spotted owl?
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:14 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:The marsupial version of Brunswick Stew?

I've read that authentic Brunswick Stew can be either squirrel or 'possum (or rabbit), but I myself would lean towards a good Kentucky burgoo. If I'm lucky. And he's not.

Paul Winalski wrote:P.s. - Is it true that chicken tastes like spotted owl?

I dunno. Never had chicken, that I would know how it compares.

:D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:01 pm

Hilarious. Living in a cool climate I too use the great outdoors for cooling and occasional storage, and have wondered what creatures wander by and smell my creations. Unlike you, however, I don't leave the lids in the kitchen, they go out with the pot AND I put a rock on top. Unless the Rocky Balboa of possums happens to show up, my food's probably safe.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:11 pm

Jenise wrote:Hilarious. Living in a cool climate I too use the great outdoors for cooling and occasional storage, and have wondered what creatures wander by and smell my creations. Unlike you, however, I don't leave the lids in the kitchen, they go out with the pot AND I put a rock on top. Unless the Rocky Balboa of possums happens to show up, my food's probably safe.

This is Jersey. We have the Rocky Balboas of possums. AND they're packin'. We don't stand a chance, rock or no rock.

:D
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Nov 27, 2018 7:17 pm

Only ever had one thing disappear. A friend delivered a whole cherry pie around 6 a.m. on her way to work. Left it on one of the lower stairs of the spiral staircase to my upper deck to keep it critter-safe, and sent me an email about it. Which I read around 9 a.m. then raced outside to find the box shredded and the pie plate empty. One lone cherry, rolled off to one side under the last stair, was all that remained. And I knew exactly who got to it: Oreo, the nextdoor neighbor's English Spaniel. Oreo would eat ANYTHING.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Tom NJ

Rank

That awful Tom fellow

Northerm NJ, USA

by Tom NJ » Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:12 am

Haha! I bet Oreo was double-stuffed after that :lol:
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Sat Dec 01, 2018 4:25 am

As a kid, I used to watch The Beverly Hillbillies on TV and I remember that Granny Clampett used to make "possum belly", which seemed to be something all the Clampetts liked. I've never eaten possum, either Australian possum or American possum, although I have seen it on the menu at some bush-tucker restaurant or another. Come to think of it, I don't think I've seen a live American possum in the States, only dead ones on the road. They are bigger than Australian ones and look much fiercer.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:49 pm

I'm not surprised you never saw a live opossum in the US--they're nocturnal and hide during the day. When they're startled, they freeze and will stay motionless even if you approach them and prod them with a foot (hence the American saying "playing possum"). This is why they show up so often as road kill. I've only ever seen them live when they were crossing a road at night. And a few times when my mother was leaving out dishes of food for a stray cat in the neighborhood--I caught the opossum sitting completely motionless in front of the (empty) food dish. You're right--they're large (cat-sized) and pretty fierce-looking.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

by Matilda L » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:49 am

I do go outside at night sometimes, Paul! :)