Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Get Your Goat

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Get Your Goat

by Bill Spohn » Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:23 pm

Just picked up the cook book ‘Goat’ by James Whetlor, a pioneering goat farmer and chef in the UK. I was looking into the cuisine as we have quite a bit of available goat meat locally for the Persian immigrant community.

The first 40 pages of the book are an explanation of the history and husbandry of goats and while I often skip introductions, I read this one through as it was so interesting. The author also has a generous spirit – he is contributing half of his fee for writing the book and half the royalties to Farm Africa, which is an organization that helps the women and families abandoned by men heading for the cities looking for jobs. It helps them by teaching them goat husbandry and giving them a source of protein and milk.

The recipes themselves are something I intend to try over time. The meat of a goat is different from most meats you are used to as it isn’t marbled, the fat being located in specific spots rather than being distributed throughout the muscle. The meat is lean and fairly healthy as a result.

The recipes, which span from the familiar (curries, Rogan Josh, goat osso buco, goat burgers, goat sausage, goat schnitzel etc.) to the less familiar – goat won ton, Somali Zab, pies, cassoulets, and, yes, goat terrine. I ‘kid’ you not!
Well worth a look.

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Get Your Goat

by Paul Winalski » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:15 pm

As I understand it, in India the term "mutton" refers to goat meat (gosht), but most Western cookbooks substitute the more readily available lamb. A few months ago I bought some goat meat at a local halal butcher shop and used it in one of my favorite lamb curries. I had to cook the goat meat a LOT longer than the lamb, but the flavor difference was an eye-opener. The goat meat married with the spices in a way that lamb never has. It's very clear that goat was the intended meat for that dish.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Dec 16, 2018 3:37 pm

Thanks, Paul. Will make a mental note to lengthen cooking times!
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:25 pm

Sounds like a great tip!
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:50 pm

Book sounds great (I love goat) but probably not worth it for me, as Betsy less a fan. And we would have to go to Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn to reliably get- one local farm has, but sporadically
But hope you post results, might be worth the trip to Atlantic
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:27 pm

We were driving along a fairly deserted stretch of the Great Ocean Road in Australia when we happened upon a little black pigmy goat standing in the middle of the road. We stopped, he bleated, I got out of the car to pet him and jumped in the open door, expectant and sweet as a dog. I got in the back seat and we drove our new little friend to the nearest farm.

So you know what's coming: I can't eat goat!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:53 pm

No worries, Jenise I would only serve the ugly ones. (Thinking about a goat terrine this year. And I'm not 'kidding'!

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:27 am

LOL; that IS an ugly one!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov