Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Roasted Cauliflower!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Roasted Cauliflower!

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Wed Jan 09, 2019 12:14 am

Really need a find the best recipe out there so thought this place will deliver!!
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Roasted Cauliflower!

by Peter May » Wed Jan 09, 2019 7:01 am

You can stick a few florets in with the potatoes when doing a roast...

A dish I do that has become a regular is roasted cauliflower steaks.

Take large cauliflower head, remove leaves, turn it stalk side up on chopping board and slice in half down middle of stalk,

Now take each half in turn and cut as wide a slice as you can down edge of the stalk. Thats your 'steak'.

Lay in roasting tray, brush with oil, turn over and repeat, roast in hot oven 45-60 minutes, turning half way, through cooking to brown/crisp as preferred at edges.

I serve this with roasted okra. Brush with oil, lay on baking tray, put in oven wih cauliflower. Turn halfway through. Okra will shrink and become crispy.

Because the two are rather dry, I add dhal as a sauce.

(The cauliflower steak was inspired by a dish served on Viking River Cruises. I think they par boiled/steamed the steak and finished it in a saute pan - they called it Sauteed cauliflower steak)

Tesco supermarket had for Christmas a whole cauliflower head rubbed with turmeric and spices wrapped in pastry to be baked ala beef wellington. See https://www.veganfoodandliving.com/tesc ... rty-foods/
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:51 am

Bob Parsons Alberta wrote:Really need a find the best recipe out there so thought this place will deliver!!

Recipe????!!!

The recipe is in the title. Put the cauliflower in the oven with oil and salt.

Just had some last night in fact, a regular dish this time of year.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:25 am

Prior to roasting, sprinkle with whatever seasonings you prefer. I normally use cumin & red chili powder. If I am feeling lazy I just grab the garam masala and use that. Smoked paprika is another favorite.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:35 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Prior to roasting, sprinkle with whatever seasonings you prefer. I normally use cumin & red chili powder. If I am feeling lazy I just grab the garam masala and use that. Smoked paprika is another favorite.

Yes, most of time we just toss with olive oil, garlic, and seasonings (like David smoked paprika and garam masala lead, will have to try cumin/chile). Another good one is to toss with oil and S&P, then about 10 minutes before finishing (when you do final stir) topping with some finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano , then drizzling with a lemon/caper sauce when it comes out.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:37 am

Here's another take on the steaks that Peter May, I should remind Betsy we haven't done in a while
https://food52.com/recipes/20792-dan-ba ... ower-puree
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:48 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Another good one is to toss with oil and S&P, then about 10 minutes before finishing (when you do final stir) topping with some finely grated Parmigiano-Reggiano , then drizzling with a lemon/caper sauce when it comes out.

Well I guess that qualifies as a recipe!

I don't usually look to add cheese to dishes, but that sounds delicious. And I always top roasted cauliflower with some sort of brightening acidity (vinegar, lemon, lime), but of course the capers add that extra dimension.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:53 pm

I love the cauliflower steaks Dale and Pete discussed. I often make a butter/lemon/caper/garlic sauce--a basic piccata--to drizzle over the finished 'steak'.

Also, for roasted? I make a simple bechamel with low fat milk and season it with parm, lemon (juice and grated rind), and rosemary and toss the finished cauliflower in that. With rack of lamb? A combination from heaven.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:34 pm

So, how did yours turn out, Bob?