Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

wine for baby artichokes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

wine for baby artichokes

by Dale Williams » Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:16 pm

So dinner tonight is duck legs, guests are bringing appetizers, but first course is roasted baby artichokes with a curry yogurt. Most of the time we have (full size) artichokes I typically prefer to have them on wineless weeknights. Artichokes can do funny things with wine. But the baby ones seem less problematic. Normally my first thought would be Chardonnay/Chablis or possibly dry Chenin, but with the curry yogurt I'm thinking dry Riesling. What think you guys?
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: wine for baby artichokes

by Rahsaan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:38 pm

Dale Williams wrote:So dinner tonight is duck legs, guests are bringing appetizers, but first course is roasted baby artichokes with a curry yogurt. Most of the time we have (full size) artichokes I typically prefer to have them on wineless weeknights. Artichokes can do funny things with wine. But the baby ones seem less problematic. Normally my first thought would be Chardonnay/Chablis or possibly dry Chenin, but with the curry yogurt I'm thinking dry Riesling. What think you guys?

That is a tough one. Probably as much about the specific wine/vintage as the grape/region. I.E. something robust enough not to fall apart but something delicate enough not to heavily clash.

Either way, I guess you've already eaten. So what did you choose?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:25 am

hedged by bets (lost anyway). 07 Cotat got a little bit of that metallic twang with the artichokes, not awful but distracting. '07 Trimbach CFE however disappeared. Really. At the same moment as Betsy said" it tastes like nothing" I said "it tastes like water" . It was like the artichokes (or the curry? I think the chokes) stripped away all flavor from the Riesling. Never experienced that before.
Both wines showed great on their own
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:23 pm

Oh well.

At least you had good wines (on their own) and I'm sure the main course was easier wine-food pairing. Not all dishes lead to perfect synergy. And that's ok!
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:44 pm

Artichokes, really? And with curry? Can I also wear a blindfold and tie one hand behind my back?

No wine can deal with that. You might have tried a pilsener or (gasp) an IPA. The more-curious parts of my brain also wonder whether an assertive junmai might have worked.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:19 pm

Wish I had seen this. Gruner! Gruner!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:34 pm

Only just seeing this, and I already commented on your wine note. But for everyone else: artichokes like oak. Some friends and I once opened 6 or 8 whites with artichokes to test the nothing-goes-with-them theory, and there was one match on the table that actually worked pretty well: a cheap, oaky California chardonnay.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

kasey.dubler

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:30 pm

Salt Lake City, UT

by kasey.dubler » Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:43 am

I absolutely hate Oaky Chardonnay, but now I must try it!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:43 pm

Kasey, let me make the argument even more compelling. When this occurred, I was cooking with Roberto Gallo at the CIA in Napa. We had a class of 11, everybody but me working chefs, two from the Ritz Carlton in Laguna Beach, yada yada. It was Roberto who opined about no wine going with artichokes. We all kind of agreed, but to what extent had we actually tested it? Hence launched an extra-curricular effort to land the truth. And to our shock (and some horror), the oaky chardonnay worked.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov