Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Roasted my first Bresse Chicken

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Roasted my first Bresse Chicken

by Jenise » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:22 pm

BresseChicken.jpg

You know, the white bird with the blue feet so famed in France as the best in the world. Some thoughts:

Value: I purchased it from the farmer in British Columbia for about--don't choke--$40C which is about $32 American at current exchange rates. Didn't mind for the experience, and the organic chickens I purchase here aren't exactly cheap. It was a 4 lb bird and had a big carcass, looked very large. Where the value really sucked was-- how little meat it yielded. It was all bone, the Twiggy of the the poultry world: small breasts and almost no thighs. The portion you see here was half a bird divided between the two of us, dark meat under the light. I would guess that each portion was only bout 4-5 ounces. Bob would have liked more but I resisted so that I had a full half to make a cold chicken salad lunch out of.

Flavor: Fantastic. But I must confess to stacking the deck--I soaked it in buttermilk (for two days no less) because I had a whole pint leftover from making an 'Old Fashioned Buttermilk Donut Bundt Cake' (OMG) last week and no other use for the remainder.
I included a seasoned salt to get a good thru-flavor. I roasted it spatchcocked for just one hour--I had been forewarned that it was a low fat bird and would overcook easily. In one hour, the first 30 minutes at 400F and the second 30 at 300--it reached 160. The white meat reminded me of pheasant, and it was definitely among the best poultry I've ever had. But the dark meat was disappointing, no thigh to speak of so just two small, preternaturally tough legs. A person who wanted only dark meat would have gone hungry. Skin was thick and leathery, less pleasant to eat than a conventional bird.

Overall a good meal with the splat potato and white vermouth gravy, but would I buy another? Nope. But fun to do it once.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

Re: Roasted my first Bresse Chicken

by Peter May » Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:27 pm

Another one to strike off your bucket list, eh :)
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:12 pm

I think technically Gauloise, breed is Bresse Gauloise, outside Bresse should be called Gauloise. :)

I'm used to paying a lot for local chicken, but never quite that much

A bit old fashioned (and not trendy any more0, but have enjoyed going to Allard in Paris for Bresse chicken twice

Thanks for report
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jan 24, 2019 2:36 pm

Bresse chicken and a bottle of cru Beaujolais - one of my bucket list Paris meals...achieved in 2007.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jan 25, 2019 3:26 pm

Dale Williams wrote:I think technically Gauloise, breed is Bresse Gauloise, outside Bresse should be called Gauloise. :)

Bresse de Beny (poulet de Bresse) has AOC status in France. I've had it at restaurants in Burgundy. Definitely old-school chicken. Very flavorful, as you say, but a lot less meat than the breeds we're used to in the USA.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Tue Jan 29, 2019 3:21 pm

Our results concur. Fun to try but not worth doing regularly.

BTW, never been a fan of spatchcocking - sounds painful! :mrgreen:

And congrats on not entitling your thread "Making a Clean Bresse of It" Shows a (still developing) maturity....
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:08 am

Ah, I like spatch-cocking. Helps flatten-out a lumpy bird.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:00 am

Plus all the skin is crisp and wondetful.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov