Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Air fryers

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

John F

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat May 20, 2006 3:50 am

Air fryers

by John F » Sun Apr 28, 2019 6:54 pm

I’m starting to fal in love with my Instant Pot... using the Melissa Clark cookbooks

But what are these air dryers I keep seeing? Does anyone use them? Any thoughts!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Air fryers

by Jenise » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:02 pm

I'm fairly gadget-averse and have never used one or eaten food prepared in one. A bodybuilder, health-freak friend who turned vegetarian in the last two years swears by it, but then he and his wife are parents of five and grandparents of beaucoup more with the va-va-voom bodies of 35 year olds and plans for staying that way. His wife, in fact, mostly lives on diet shakes, and says she doesn't enjoy eating at all. From all that, I cannot glean encouragement for normal people with normal appetites and actual cooking skills to own one.

Best I can tell from a distance, the air fryer is somewhat like an enclosed convection device that uses circulating hot air to create a crust. It was last Christmas' 'hot item' appliance for people who bought Instapots the year before, said one magazine I read at the time. Obviously, a healthy way to cook if convenience and zero fat of prime importance. Otherwise, not so sure.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:32 pm

I love gadgets, but Mary is good at talking me back from the edge and keeping our pantry manageable, so we don't have an air fryer. :)

This is a pretty even-handed article about them from The Kitchn, though. It concludes that they're fun and handy, and you might like one if you have the space, but points out that you can also pretty much do everything the air fryer does with other kitchen appliances that you already have.
https://www.thekitchn.com/air-fryer-review-261972
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:23 pm

My side bar is trying to sell me an air fryer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:35 pm

Ha! I really don't think that's surprising, though. Since the title of the thread is "Air Fryers," and the forum is open to Google's giant eye in the sky, it's reasonable for them to auction ad space to companies that want to be displayed where people are talking about their product. That's the way it works. :)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed May 01, 2019 2:16 am

Not surprising at all re content, just surprised at the speed with which it showed up.
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed May 01, 2019 9:35 am

Jenise wrote:Not surprising at all re content, just surprised at the speed with which it showed up.

I hear you! If you watch the "Who's browsing this forum" line at the bottom of every forum, though, you'll almost always see the Google Bot (and other search engine bots) in here. I think Google prides itself in covering the Internet in almost real time, both for content search and for advertising. :shock: