Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Robin, you'll love this

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Robin, you'll love this

by Jenise » Sun May 12, 2019 11:42 am

Touring the kitchen area of the church I was to be preparing all the food for the memorial service for (which took place yesterday) with the pastor, my friend the widow started fussing about the quantities of things. The only way she could fathom how to be sure we had enough food for 150 people was to make enough for 300 and to hell with the leftovers. I was trying to explain that I'm an ace at estimating quantities when Pastor Sherry interrupted and put her hand on Denise's arm with, "This is God's house. Trust the loaves and the fishes."

BINGO.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: Robin, you'll love this

by Robin Garr » Sun May 12, 2019 3:20 pm

Ha! It's surprising how often that works. Another idea, although your community may not be urban enough to have a logical recipient: Make more than enough food, and practice good sanitation in service. When the meal is over if there are leftovers in the kitchen (not on people's plates! :P ), move them quickly to a local soup kitchen serving homeless people.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun May 12, 2019 4:14 pm

Well, I wasn't about to cook for 300. Twice as much food would be twice as much prep and cook time and no way I was going to let her obsessing over details railroad me into doing more than I needed to. I just loved the way the pastor put an end to it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Sun May 12, 2019 6:40 pm

Yeah, twice as much would be ridiculous. My alternate proposal is just to make a little more than you know you'll need. But not double! :lol: