Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

For the love of LEMONS....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

For the love of LEMONS....

by Paulo in Philly » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:38 pm

As I kid I vividly remember enjoying "Lemonheads" - tart and zingy lemon candies. I buy lemons on a regular basis, using it in salad dressings, or simply squeezing an entire lemon into one glass of fresh lemonade. Squeeze some lemon on your food, and voila - its acidity makes anything taste better. An iced tea is not complete without several slices of lemons. Lemon squares and lemon meringue (sp?) pies are a weakness. Any other lemon worshipers out there?

I am also a raspberry freak. Lemons and raspberries go together, as do oranges and strawberries. What are your thoughts? Anybody else have the same obsession?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: For the love of LEMONS....

by Bob Henrick » Sun Feb 04, 2007 3:41 pm

Paolo, do you not know our very own Bill Spencer Lemon King deluxe? Check him out.

http://www.associatedcitrus.com/
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

by Thomas » Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:11 pm

Paulo in Philly wrote:As I kid I vividly remember enjoying "Lemonheads" - tart and zingy lemon candies. I buy lemons on a regular basis, using it in salad dressings, or simply squeezing an entire lemon into one glass of fresh lemonade. Squeeze some lemon on your food, and voila - its acidity makes anything taste better. An iced tea is not complete without several slices of lemons. Lemon squares and lemon meringue (sp?) pies are a weakness. Any other lemon worshipers out there?

I am also a raspberry freak. Lemons and raspberries go together, as do oranges and strawberries. What are your thoughts? Anybody else have the same obsession?

Paulo,

As a boy, lemon rind was one of my favorite snacks. I used to help the old man next door make Italian lemon ice for his candy store. I would nibble on the rinds that were left over after the squeeze--far better than the sugar that we dumped into the blend of lemon and crushed ice.

I learned years ago to ask for lemon for my salad in most restaurants rather than their sugary prepared dressings. And I use lemon at home almost as much as I use wine. Of course, at a dollar a lemon these days I am cutting back.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:15 pm

I used to eat raw lemons with a little sugar on. Used to love it.

Quite like lemon (and maybe a little ginger) cooked with fish these days
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:41 pm

Ian Sutton wrote:I used to eat raw lemons with a little sugar on. Used to love it.

Quite like lemon (and maybe a little ginger) cooked with fish these days

Ian,

Try lemon-curry-garlic baked poultry or lemon egg drop soup--great preparations.

I once squirted lemon into a glass of cloying, near insipid Riesling at a restaurant. Made a big difference in the right direction.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Paulo in Philly

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Mar 21, 2006 5:26 pm

Philadelphia, PA

by Paulo in Philly » Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:01 pm

So THAT's why you're a little SOUR, Tommasso!!!! :wink:

Indeed.... $1 for a lemon is painful. I've seen $1.40 here in Center City Philadelphia!

:shock:
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:00 am

Funny story ... at least to me.

I have a dwarf Meyer lemon tree growing in half a wine barrel on my deck. The tree provides a small crop of very juicy medium-sized lemons every year. And I love the scent of the blossoms which fills my office when the tree is in bloom.

Well, last year when I picked Zari up from SFO upon her return from a lengthier visit to Iran, part of the welcome home packet was about half a dozen of my home-grown lemons. I figured she'd squeeze them over fish or something. It was kind of a personal thing. Giving things you nurture yourself to others just seems like more of an intimate gift, part of yourself and all that. Anyway ...

You should have seen me grin, however, when she bypassed the sandwiches, cookies and chocolate, and right there in the car, greedily sliced open a couple of lemons, and chowed down on them as if they were candy. "Why not," I asked myself and have started doing the same.

And now what?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:17 pm

Paulo, I am also a lemon lover. I realized it had been a while since I had lemon meringue pie, so last evening at dinner I ordered a slice.

It was such a disappointment! It wasn't tart enough and the meringue was way too sweet. That's the thing with being a great cook and baker oneself..... sometimes (perhapd often) restaurants just don't live up to one's standards! :(
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:05 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:Funny story ... at least to me.

I have a dwarf Meyer lemon tree growing in half a wine barrel on my deck. The tree provides a small crop of very juicy medium-sized lemons every year. And I love the scent of the blossoms which fills my office when the tree is in bloom.

Well, last year when I picked Zari up from SFO upon her return from a lengthier visit to Iran, part of the welcome home packet was about half a dozen of my home-grown lemons. I figured she'd squeeze them over fish or something. It was kind of a personal thing. Giving things you nurture yourself to others just seems like more of an intimate gift, part of yourself and all that. Anyway ...

You should have seen me grin, however, when she bypassed the sandwiches, cookies and chocolate, and right there in the car, greedily sliced open a couple of lemons, and chowed down on them as if they were candy. "Why not," I asked myself and have started doing the same.

Gary,

Aren't Meyer lemons sweeter than the biggies?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

by Gary Barlettano » Mon Feb 05, 2007 1:25 pm

Thomas wrote:Gary, Aren't Meyer lemons sweeter than the biggies?

Mine seem to be sweeter and juicier than anything I get from the store. By the way, the "dwarf" part has to do with the size of the tree. The lemons themselves are, well, average lemon-size.
And now what?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:25 pm

Gary Barlettano wrote:
Thomas wrote:Gary, Aren't Meyer lemons sweeter than the biggies?

Mine seem to be sweeter and juicier than anything I get from the store. By the way, the "dwarf" part has to do with the size of the tree. The lemons themselves are, well, average lemon-size.

If my memory is any good, I think Meyer lemons are a cross between lemon and other citrus--Mandarin, I think. I suppose that's why they are sweeter.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

Meyer lemons

by Bill Spencer » Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:15 pm

Thomas wrote:If my memory is any good, I think Meyer lemons are a cross between lemon and other citrus--Mandarin, I think. I suppose that's why they are sweeter.

%^)

The Meyer lemon is, in fact, a hybrid mix between a true lemon and a mandarin orange ... it was introduced into the United States by an agricultural explorer by the name of Frank N. Meyer who found it growing as an ornamental pot plant near Peking, China in 1908 ... unlike most lemons, it is faintly necked with a very short nipple ... the skin has much tinier oil glands than a regular lemon and is, therefore, much smoother skinned than a regular lemon ... the peel at maturity is a light orange and the meat is a pale orange-yellow ... the fruit usually has about 10 segments with very tender, almost melting walls between the segments ... juicier than a regular lemon ... very low in acid with a medium but complex lemon flavor with hints of sweet lime and mandarin/tangerine ... small seeds numbering from 8 to 12 per fruit ... everbearing but bears heavier from November to April ... Meyer lemons are popular as ornamental plants due to their compact size, hardiness, and productivity ... they are highly decorative and quite suitable for container growing ... if you live in a non-citrus growing climate, grow them indoors in the late Fall, Winter, and early Spring and then put them outdoors in the late Spring, Summer, and early Fall ... you'll always have Meyer lemons for those special recipes !

P.S. But DON'T quit buying MY regular lemons, please !

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Re: Meyer lemons

by Thomas » Mon Feb 05, 2007 9:17 pm

My memory is holding up then!

Bill, are you saying that I could grow Meyer lemons in the Finger Lakes?

I grow figs, and last year I started an olive tree. Indoors from November to April--outdoors afterwards. Will that work with Meyers? If so, where can I get one?
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Mon Feb 05, 2007 10:45 pm

Same question here, Bill. South of Thomas, but higher and probably a tad colder.
no avatar
User

MikeH

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:07 pm

Cincinnati

by MikeH » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:21 am

Definitely a lemon fan. I remember those Lemonheads, they were great!

My favorite Krispy Kreme donut is the lemon filled.

Thin Mint Girl Scout cookies are tops (I'm also a chocoholic, almost exclusively dark) but the lemon pastry sandwich is a close second.

Oddly though, I don't like lemon in my iced tea.
Cheers!
Mike
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Feb 06, 2007 9:49 am

Bob Ross wrote:Same question here, Bill. South of Thomas, but higher and probably a tad colder.

Bob,

If you are colder in Franklin Lakes than I am in the Finger Lakes all I can say is: move. ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

by Bill Spencer » Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:30 am

Thomas wrote:Bill, are you saying that I could grow Meyer lemons in the Finger Lakes? If so, where can I get one?

%^)

Yep ! You sure can !

A few sources -

http://www.acornsprings.com

http://www.starkbros.com

http://www.parkseed.com

http://smithandhawken.com

http://timelesstopiary.com/citrus.php

http://www.fourwindsgrowers.com

One thing to remember - citrus does NOT like wet roots ... don't over water ... citrus also needs a lot of light ... so a southern or western exposure inside your home in the late Fall, Winter, and early Spring is the best ... and don't fertilize before Spring or after Fall - inbetween is fine and time-release fertilizers will work ...

And finally - if you get one PLEASE don't stop buying my regular lemons ... I hope I'm not shooting myself in the foot here !

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:07 pm

Thanks Bill. Your description matches the way I have to treat the fig trees.

How do we know when we are buying your lemons?
Thomas P