Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

The inconvenience of convenience

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

The inconvenience of convenience

by Jenise » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:36 pm

Thanks to my friend Nadine for pointing out this article in the Globe and Mail about the way technology has changed the way we shop for food and other things--not, always, for the better.
[url]
https://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/ar ... ce-crisis/[/url]
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: The inconvenience of convenience

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:40 pm

Good article. I quite agree.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: The inconvenience of convenience

by Jenise » Tue Aug 20, 2019 12:33 pm

I am someone who still shops for my own groceries. Found it hard to imagine (but then again, maybe not so much) the sons she mentions who run out of toilet paper and immediately order more from Amazon instead of heading to the store--buying a cheap household staple the second one runs out. The thought of that amount of cardboard piling up around the country because of lazy acts like that kind of makes my blood boil. Meanwhile, most of the rest of us carry a mixed pile of bags into the stores and procure our groceries in person. And, as she points out, while doing so discover all kinds of cool groceries we wouldn't know about if we didn't personally walk in and also have casual chats with neighbors we run into in the aisles. Shopping's both a burden and a joy.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov