Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

How about them tongs?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

How about them tongs?

by Larry Greenly » Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:53 pm

I used to own a fantastic set of locking tongs until I lost them somewhere (probably by taking them to someone's bbq). Since then I've accumulated several others, including a cheap pair from a dollar store that work, but are a bit flimsy. I also have a medium locking GoodCook tongs with silicone tips that work reasonably well. Last year I bought a set of two tongs, medium and short, that looked good (the brand is Cook Works), but don't work worth a damn. The tips are covered in a silicone that is slipperier than anything known to mankind. When you try to pick up something with them, that something tends to squirt out and fly across the room. Don't buy 'em.

How about your tongs?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

Re: How about them tongs?

by Robin Garr » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:40 pm

Mary loves tongs, Larry, and we have a pair of Oxo Goodgrips tong in two sizes. Metal grippers, rubber or plastic lined handles to keep them cool.

I'm not a fan myself. I grew up cooking with two wooden spoons, and I can tong with them like chopsticks. :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:37 am

The Oxo tongs were rated #1 on ATK. Oxo makes a lot of good stuff, and metal grippers, not silicone, is the way to go.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:48 pm

Not sure what brand I have but they are locking with teal silicone tips. The tips are textured and slightly grippy and work well. I have been known to fetch obscure sugars from the back of the cabinet using the tongs instead of the step-ladder.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:01 am

Back in the '90s, I quickly learned one lesson in using tongs: never tilt the tips up when removing something from a deep fryer. Yow! Some grease ran down the arms onto the tip of my little finger. That sure as hell never happened again.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:38 pm

Robin Garr wrote:Mary loves tongs, Larry, and we have a pair of Oxo Goodgrips tong in two sizes.

Piker. Behold: 16!!!

tongs.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:48 pm

:shock:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:54 pm

Four sizes. (Nudge nudge.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov