Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Has anyone tried UMAi?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

Has anyone tried UMAi?

by Jim Cassidy » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:50 pm

Possibly the best steak I ever made at home was a choice ribeye, dry aged 28 days by our local Fred Meyer. I looked around the internet and decided to try UMAi bags with a Costco USDA Prime rib roast.

https://umaidry.com

Has anyone tried these? I'll report in a month or so.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Salt Lake City

Re: Has anyone tried UMAi?

by Jim Cassidy » Mon May 04, 2020 6:29 pm

So I aged a USDA Prime boneless ribeye, started at about 14 lbs. Definitely worthwhile, harvested 11 steaks. I now think the Fred Meyer aged 28 days was actually aged for 35, and will adjust next time.

We are eating our way through them now, really good from the freezer; I think the dryer meat is not affected by the freezing and thawing as much as the non-dry aged.

I decided to go ahead and start again, as steak may be hard to find in a couple months. Another Costco Prime ribeye, this one just under 20 lbs. It seems that the ratio of meat to fat is much better on the larger one.

This is an experiment I would encourage any omnivore foodie to try. If you are interested, buy the beef now while you can, it can spend a few days in the fridge till your UMAi bags arrive. If you can't get Prime, not to worry, the Fred Meyer 28 was Choice.
Jim Cassidy

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue May 05, 2020 4:13 am

Jim, sounds like an amazing experiment. I’ve only had proper dry aged rib once and it was wonderful.
I looked at UMAI website and watched the video.
What was confused about was the cost of the bags, is the price for one or possibly three or am I misreading.
Well done for going the whole 9 yards glad it is paying off in the results. Thanks for the report.
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Tue May 05, 2020 1:25 pm

Barb, I bought three bags for $27; I got the largest size, as I ordered before deciding which cut of meat to buy; I'd get one size smaller for a rib eye or NY strip.
Jim Cassidy

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue May 05, 2020 2:49 pm

Okay, you have my attention, Jim. Must look into this--you cite good reasons for the future. Once again, I really really really wish I had a stand-alone freezer.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Thu May 07, 2020 6:01 pm

The forum at UMAi's website has great information for newbys - https://www.drybagsteak.com/forum

Some of the most important points I've found:

1. Don't use meat that has been mechanically "tenderized", it will rot.

2. Best bet is still in the cryo bag; you can drain the liquid, but don't wipe it down; you want the surface wet.

3. I don't understand why, but it is impossible to get nearly as much air out of these as regular FoodSaver bags. The forum has discussions and photos of what is acceptable.

4. There is some disagreement in the literature about turning it once in a while; I have come down in the "fat side down, don't touch it" camp.

My own recent innovation is using a couple cups of sugar in ziplock bags to weigh down the bag for a couple days to encourage the bag to stick. They will be removed to allow the membrane to function properly.
Jim Cassidy

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri May 08, 2020 12:35 pm

"Fat side down" makes sense to me. The fat provides a seal to prevent gravity from pulling juices out of the meat.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

audrius.ka

Rank

Just got here

Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:53 am

by audrius.ka » Thu Feb 04, 2021 11:57 am

This year I discovered a new company. They also sell the same bags as Umai These guys can be found: https://www.dryagedbags.com They also work great.