Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

IOTM - Is it Fennel?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

IOTM - Is it Fennel?

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:55 pm

It's going to be into next week before Jenise can make the formal announcement, but for those who want to go ahead and start, barring any last minute change of plans it's going to be fennel, which to my mind includes the bulb (finocchio) and the seeds and the trendy wild fennel pollen, and could probably be casually extended to cover the range of fennel/anise/licorice flavors in cookery, from Italian sausage to anise cookies to sauces laced with Pernod.

I'm speaking out of school here, though, and if Dishwasher Jenise wants to demur from anything I've said, her decision rules.

We've heard nothing else on the subject, so I thought I'd ask.

I don't really care for anise or licorice. However, I thought it would be good to see what different ways it can be prepared. I've heard it pairs nicely with onions, our most recent IOTM.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: IOTM - Is it Fennel?

by Jenise » Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:57 pm

At the exact second you posted your question, Linda, I put up the post. Yes, fennel.

Understood about the licorice thing, but that may not be as offputting as you imagine. My husband HATES licorice, but he loves fennel both raw and cooked. Or at least, he compliments the food and hasn't run out of the room screaming....
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:09 pm

woooo-hooooo!

A big fan of fennel, so will read with interest.

A favourite... Not a recipe, but Italian sausages with fennel in, are absolutely stunning. Homemade sausage patties with chopped bulb of fennel is an interesting alternative.

regards

Ian
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:18 pm

Thanks Jenise. I read your post, and it was interesting and informative. Hopefully, I can find a way to try it out. I do love Italian sausage with onions and peppers. Maybe I could add fennel to that as well.
no avatar
User

David Creighton

Rank

Wine guru

Wed May 24, 2006 10:07 am

ann arbor, michigan

by David Creighton » Mon Feb 12, 2007 5:26 pm

what do anise and licorice have to do with each other?
david creighton
no avatar
User

Bill Buitenhuys

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:47 pm

Phoenix metro

by Bill Buitenhuys » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:53 am

I do love Italian sausage with onions and peppers. Maybe I could add fennel to that as well.
Hi Linda, thinly sliced fennel bulb goes really well with sausage, pepper (I use cubanelle), onion, and garlic. After frying up some crumbled sausage, I add the veg and cook until soft (not browned), add some white wine, a can of San Marzano tomato, and use it as a sauce over a thicker long pasta (fusilli, buccatini).
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:48 pm

Thanks Bill, that sounds really good. I'll have to give that a try.