Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Posts

4234

Joined

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Location

Middleton, NH, USA

RCP: Sweet Italian Sausage

by Carl Eppig » Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:04 pm

SWEET ITALIAN SAUSAGE:
10 lbs Lean pork
5 T Whole fennel seed
5 T Dry basil
2 1/2 T Salt
2 1/2 T Ground black pepper
2 1/2 T Paprika
2 1/2 T Granulated garlic (garlic powder)
1/2 C + 2 T Marsala or Red Wine
Sausage casings

Grind meat medium to coarse. Add seasonings and wine and mix well. Stuff into casings, and twist into desired lengths.
User avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Posts

6375

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Location

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: RCP: Sweet Italian Sausage

by Howie Hart » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:26 am

Carl - this is the recipe I use.

Homemade Italian Sausage

This recipe calls for casings, if preferred you can simply use the sausage in bulk-form.
2 1/2 pounds lean ground pork butt only-anything else i.e., hams tenderloins are too dry!

2 large cloves garlic, crushed
1/8 teaspoon dry basil
1/8 teaspoon dry oregano
1/8 teaspoon cracked rosemary
1/8 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes (or to taste)
1 teaspoon fennel seed
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons grated cheese - Romano
1/4 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon fresh finely ground black pepper
Casings (water packed)*

1. Hand-trim all most visible fat from the outside of pork, then cube the meat, removing - remove some interior fat as you find it.
2. Coarsely grind the pork and glean then ground meat, picking out gristle, cartilage and veins of fat. If you trim your pork butt - you will not have a gristle or fat problem-good marbling in the first grind is desirable
3. Add seasonings, wine before second grinding, place meat in a large bowl, mix again by hand if needed. Grind one more time.
4. Use sausage stuffing attachment on electric meat-grinder.

NOTE: Do NOT use blade in meat-grinder when stuffing - or your casings will turn white and the sausage will be mushy.
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: RCP: Sweet Italian Sausage

by TimMc » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:13 pm

Awesome recipes, Guys!

Question: If I do not have the means to put the seasoned meat into casings, would patties be just as effective?
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Posts

4234

Joined

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Location

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: RCP: Sweet Italian Sausage

by Carl Eppig » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:35 am

You betchum Red Ryder. Put them up in one pound rolls in foil, and freeze. When thawed, slice 'em up like the Jimmy Deans'.
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: RCP: Sweet Italian Sausage

by TimMc » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:15 am

Carl Eppig (Middleton, NH wrote:You betchum Red Ryder. Put them up in one pound rolls in foil, and freeze. When thawed, slice 'em up like the Jimmy Deans'.


Cool. 8)

I had asked for new recipes on another thread and you have given it to me here.


Thanks!
User avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Posts

6375

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Location

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: RCP: Sweet Italian Sausage

by Howie Hart » Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:25 am

Not only can you make patties (and put them on the grill), but you can fry it up bulk, add sauce and use it as a lasagna layer or blend into a meatloaf mix with ground beef.
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: RCP: Sweet Italian Sausage

by TimMc » Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:06 pm

Howie Hart wrote:Not only can you make patties (and put them on the grill), but you can fry it up bulk, add sauce and use it as a lasagna layer or blend into a meatloaf mix with ground beef.


Nice 8)

We do a bowtie pasta dish with [boiled then] BBQ'd sweet sausage tossed in a sauté of olive oil, oinions, red, orange and yellow bell peppers and garlic.

I wonder if it would work with the case-less sausage?
User avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Posts

6375

Joined

Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:13 pm

Location

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: RCP: Sweet Italian Sausage

by Howie Hart » Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:48 pm

TimMc wrote:We do a bowtie pasta dish with [boiled then] BBQ'd sweet sausage tossed in a sauté of olive oil, onions, red, orange and yellow bell peppers and garlic.

I wonder if it would work with the case-less sausage?
Cooked on the grill, sure, but I wouldn't boil or pre-cook a pattie. Make patties thin, like a burger. Regarding the sausage with casing, I would either cook them completely on the grill (low heat) or bake them before grilling. Boiling any sausage seems to dilute and remove the flavors off the spices.
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Posts

4234

Joined

Tue Jun 13, 2006 2:38 pm

Location

Middleton, NH, USA

Re: RCP: Sweet Italian Sausage

by Carl Eppig » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:13 pm

Other than blanching bratwurst, we never boil a sausage; we grill, broil, saute', or braise. Ever have kielbasa braised in red wine? You cook some chopped onion in your favorite fat, brown the sausage in it. Cover with wine, cover the pan, and simmer for half an hour to forty five minutes.
no avatar
User

TimMc

Re: RCP: Sweet Italian Sausage

by TimMc » Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:33 pm

Howie Hart wrote:
TimMc wrote:We do a bowtie pasta dish with [boiled then] BBQ'd sweet sausage tossed in a sauté of olive oil, onions, red, orange and yellow bell peppers and garlic.

I wonder if it would work with the case-less sausage?
Cooked on the grill, sure, but I wouldn't boil or pre-cook a pattie. Make patties thin, like a burger. Regarding the sausage with casing, I would either cook them completely on the grill (low heat) or bake them before grilling. Boiling any sausage seems to dilute and remove the flavors off the spices.


Carl Eppig wrote:Other than blanching bratwurst, we never boil a sausage; we grill, broil, saute', or braise. Ever have kielbasa braised in red wine? You cook some chopped onion in your favorite fat, brown the sausage in it. Cover with wine, cover the pan, and simmer for half an hour to forty five minutes.


And I agree, Howie. We just boil the sausage first to cook out some of the fat before grilling.Tell me, how long should I let the patties stay on the grill?

Thanks for the cooking suggestion, Carl. We're always looking for different and better ways to cook sausage....especially if it involves wine. :D

The olive oil I add to my sausage dish makes for a tasty, but not a necessarily waistline friendly meal. :wink:

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Powered by phpBB ® | phpBB3 Style by KomiDesign