Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

My Rachael Ray rant.....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

My Rachael Ray rant.....

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:58 pm

Did anyone see her show today? She had first lady, Laura Bush as her guest. First of all, Rachael wears skin tight, stretch jeans, with a top that looks like a Target purchase and a clunky necklace, another Target purchase. I've seen her looking much better with lesser known guests.
She interrupted the first lady several times, and I noticed Laura shot her an evil look a time or two. Her worst mistake.....after asking Mrs. Bush what she was reading, Mrs. Bush mentioned something about a Canadian personality, and Rachael calls her a "name dropper"! Did I hear this right? Good grief. She did restrain herself at the end of the interview, and did not grab Mrs. Bush and hug her like she does the rest of her guests.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Re: My Rachael Ray rant.....

by Thomas » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:20 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:Did anyone see her show today? She had first lady, Laura Bush as her guest. First of all, Rachael wears skin tight, stretch jeans, with a top that looks like a Target purchase and a clunky necklace, another Target purchase. I've seen her looking much better with lesser known guests.
She interrupted the first lady several times, and I noticed Laura shot her an evil look a time or two. Her worst mistake.....after asking Mrs. Bush what she was reading, Mrs. Bush mentioned something about a Canadian personality, and Rachael calls her a "name dropper"! Did I hear this right? Good grief. She did restrain herself at the end of the interview, and did not grab Mrs. Bush and hug her like she does the rest of her guests.

What is Laura Bush doing on that show in the first place? I don't understand your rant.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Mon Feb 12, 2007 11:34 pm

Thomas wrote:
Karen/NoCA wrote:Did anyone see her show today? She had first lady, Laura Bush as her guest. First of all, Rachael wears skin tight, stretch jeans, with a top that looks like a Target purchase and a clunky necklace, another Target purchase. I've seen her looking much better with lesser known guests.

What is Laura Bush doing on that show in the first place? I don't understand your rant.

Thomas, you have to keep up with things. Rachael has a talk show now. She's not confined to the Foodie scene any longer.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:12 am

Thomas wrote:

Rachael has a new show which she invites very popular guests to participate. I've watched because of the quality of the guest line-up, however today, was her most prominent guest and I felt she knew nothing about protocol. However, she has stated, "I will do it my way". Her way was not appropriate with the first lady today. I could be all wet, but I don't think so, considering what I have learned about local protocol.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:46 am

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:31 am

Whether you agree with the politics or not, you should respect the office/position. It sounds like Ray did not do that, to her discredit.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Feb 13, 2007 12:48 am

She was on David Letterman the other day.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:26 am

Randy Buckner wrote:Whether you agree with the politics or not, you should respect the office/position. It sounds like Ray did not do that, to her discredit.

Yeah, I agree with that. I have no idea whether Rachael was rude due to political affiliation or what, but it sounds pretty bad from what you said, Karen.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Stuart Yaniger

Rank

Stud Muffin

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:28 pm

Big Sky

by Stuart Yaniger » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:21 am

Randy Buckner wrote:Whether you agree with the politics or not, you should respect the office/position. It sounds like Ray did not do that, to her discredit.

What office/position? She wasn't elected to anything, there's no Constitutional or statutory mention of "First Lady" as a government office, and last I looked, we weren't a monarchy. Yet.

Obligatory Snark: To be fair, the jeans weren't skin tight when she bought them.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:00 am

Hoke wrote:Thomas, you have to keep up with things. Rachael has a talk show now. She's not confined to the Foodie scene any longer.

What is this talk show about? Food? Or is it one of those generic Life Issue late morning/afternoon shows?
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:03 am

Stuart Yaniger wrote:What office/position?

"Yes, der Fuehrer is a terrible person, but ve must respect the office of Chancellor ... "
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:44 am

I'm beginning to think that Stuart Yaniger went to the same school I attended.

Not to get political, but are the Bush people trying to seem nice all of a sudden by showing their teeth on TV?

More important: Rachael Ray has a talk show? The extent people will go to pollute the atmosphere...
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:30 am

Thomas wrote:Not to get political, but are the Bush people trying to seem nice all of a sudden by showing their teeth on TV?

I call their facial expressions, "sniles," a cross between a sneer and a smile.
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:45 am

What office/position? She wasn't elected to anything, there's no Constitutional or statutory mention of "First Lady" as a government office, and last I looked, we weren't a monarchy.

She holds the position of First Lady and should be respected as such, all snide remarks from the peanut gallery aside. I am saddened at how cynical and disrespectful our society has become.
no avatar
User

Ryan D

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:07 pm

Ringwood, NJ

by Ryan D » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:53 am

Personally, if you go on a show like the Rachael Ray show, you get what you're signing up for. It's like going on the Jon Stewart show and being surprised you're the target of a snide comment or two. [For the record I think Stewart's a professional and hilarious, and great with all his guests.]
I can certainly see that you know your wine. Most of the guests who stay here wouldn't know the difference between Bordeaux and Claret.
- Basil Fawlty
Check out my -->blog<--.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Feb 13, 2007 1:59 pm

What has Laura Bush done that entitles her to any more (or less) respect than that due to the average citizen? She hasn't even married well.

And I suggest I will respect Ms. Bush when all the folks calling for me to respect her are willing to retroactively respect the previous "First Lady" when she was in "office". Or for that matter, several previous "First Ladies".

Ms. Bush chose to put herself in the public arena. She's fair game. But don't tell Cheney that, please; especially when he's in Texas.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:34 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Hoke wrote:Thomas, you have to keep up with things. Rachael has a talk show now. She's not confined to the Foodie scene any longer.

What is this talk show about? Food? Or is it one of those generic Life Issue late morning/afternoon shows?

Its about everything Rahsaan. Food, womens issues, weight loss etc. She has some newsworthy people on sometime. Nigella Lawson has a better figure though and I like her cookies!!!

Where`s Gary B, he just sent me a pic of RR wearing a skin tight outfit. Maybe he can post here!!!!
no avatar
User

RichardAtkinson

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:15 pm

Houston, TX

by RichardAtkinson » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:38 pm

I agree. Apparently manners are thing of the past. Children, the media and certain age groups have either forgotten what they were taught...or were never taught to begin with.

She shouldn't be respected just because she is the First Lady, she should have been granted the respect due to her as a decent human being.

Richard
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:40 pm

Maybe this will work, complimentory of Gary B..........

http://www.101lifestyle.com/celebs/rachel_ray.html

Does anyone wanna see her wallpaper??? BTW, I just went to youtube. She was in an Iron Chef and won!! When was that?
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:47 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:
What office/position? She wasn't elected to anything, there's no Constitutional or statutory mention of "First Lady" as a government office, and last I looked, we weren't a monarchy.

She holds the position of First Lady and should be respected as such, all snide remarks from the peanut gallery aside. I am saddened at how cynical and disrespectful our society has become.

Randy,

Of the people, by the people, for the people: as has been said, no monarchy here. First lady is the President's wife, not much more than that, really. She didn't even have to earn the thing.
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:49 pm

RichardAtkinson wrote:I agree. Apparently manners are thing of the past. Children, the media and certain age groups have either forgotten what they were taught...or were never taught to begin with.

She shouldn't be respected just because she is the First Lady, she should have been granted the respect due to her as a decent human being.

Richard

On this I agree completely. Having not seen the show, and never will, couldn't say what the disrespect was, but it is TV, you know. Why take that thing serious at all? For my money, if you are dumb enough to appear on RR's show, you are dumb enough to be subjected to her, well, dumbness... ;)
Thomas P
no avatar
User

Robert J.

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Nov 23, 2006 1:36 pm

Coming to a store near you.

by Robert J. » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:37 pm

Stuart Yaniger wrote:What office/position? She wasn't elected to anything, there's no Constitutional or statutory mention of "First Lady" as a government office, and last I looked, we weren't a monarchy. Yet.

Bravo!

Obligatory snark: He wasn't elected to anything, either.

rwj
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:42 pm

Of the people, by the people, for the people: as has been said, no monarchy here. First lady is the President's wife, not much more than that, really. She didn't even have to earn the thing.

So that is reason to disrespect her? It is what she represents, but you know that already. Even a person being put to death on death row deserves a certain amount of dignity. Being disrespectful seems to be a badge of honor to some people....
no avatar
User

Randy Buckner

Rank

Wine guru

Puget Sound

by Randy Buckner » Tue Feb 13, 2007 3:44 pm

Exactly, Richard.
no avatar
User

Thomas

Rank

Senior Flamethrower

by Thomas » Tue Feb 13, 2007 4:04 pm

Randy Buckner wrote:

So that is reason to disrespect her? It is what she represents, but you know that already. Even a person being put to death on death row deserves a certain amount of dignity. Being disrespectful seems to be a badge of honor to some people....

No Randy, not a reason to disrepsect HER as a person, but you were talking about "the office" of First Lady, which does not exist.

"She holds the position of First Lady and should be respected as such, all snide remarks from the peanut gallery aside."

Stop shifting your position--you are acting like an MD ;)

In any event, what did Laura think she was doing on that show? Same question I asked when I heard Bill Clinton answer a demeaning underwear question on MTV.
Thomas P
Next