Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Coffee, tea and chocolate

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Coffee, tea and chocolate

by Christina Georgina » Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:04 pm

Thanks to Otto for the TTN. For the last 2 years I have been ordering the "sample" packets from Upton Teas - enough for 4-6 cups and a great way to taste many different teas in short order and not have huge quantities getting stale.

For decades I have ground a different coffee bean each morning [ rotating among whatever the closest good roaster has available ]and have savored the taste comparisons.

Yes, Anders is correct in his observation about tasting chocolate in the same way. At the office today, a sweet toothed friend and I compared a 72% Venezuelan [Valrhona] - tannic bitterness; a 70% single origin Columbian [ Santander ] - beautiful, complex floral notes and 64% single origin Costa Rican [ Choxie ] - quite a bit of caramel sweetness- almost too sweet after the others. I buy chocolates in the disco or fevre form - small, bite size pieces designed for easy measuring by bakers but ideal for tasting forays. It is quite amazing to taste the differences in chocolates. Chocosphere carries a great selection, many organics and single origins. The smell of a waxy commercial chocolate will be nauseating for evermore.
Mamma Mia !