Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

New to me product: Creamed Honey

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

Re: New to me product: Creamed Honey

by Bob Ross » Sun Feb 18, 2007 1:52 pm

"I'm familiar with such warnings. I used to be the editor of CESE (Coalition of Excellence in Science and Education), which fights the introduction of creationism in public schools."

Good for you! :)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:00 pm

It also brings up some interesting anecdotes where some people actually believe that a man has fewer ribs than a woman. I've seen that happen myself in anatomy class.

One of the funniest concerns a medical school anatomy class. A student who was studying male and female skeletons commented to his professor that the male skeleton had one less rib.

The prof told him to go count the ribs again. The student came back with the same answer, so the prof went with the student and they both counted the ribs. Scriptural belief was so strong with the student, he still couldn't see the same number of ribs. The prof finally had to take the student's hands and place them on the ribs one at a time while counting. I wouldn't want someone like that operating on me.
no avatar
User

Hoke

Rank

Achieving Wine Immortality

Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:07 am

Portland, OR

by Hoke » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:54 pm

3. Sourdough bread, I think. Because the first leavened bread would have resulted from a chance discovery that flour and water left as a dough rose as a result of wild yeasts in the air. It would have taken some time to realise that keeping a piece of the dough back for future baking could achieve the same result in a controlled manner - hence the idea of a "starter".

By the very same reasoning above, I'd have to say sourdough starter came before sourdough bread. The "first" bread that creates the "sourdough starter" is not sourdough bread, it's just bread. Then when you use the starter, you "start" a bread that becomes sourdough, because it started with a "sour" starter.

We learned in distilling, that if you stop making still runs of "sour mash", the start up run on a still is (and has to be) "sweet mash". Then, once you run your first distillation, you have the "slops", which you then take a small part of to add to your next brewing. That's the sour mash. You can't have a sour mash starter until you've completed your first sweet mash distillation.
no avatar
User

Celia

Rank

Village Baker

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:55 pm

Great Southern Land

by Celia » Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:31 am

Very clever, Hoke ! You're right of course, I just wasn't cognitively nimble enough to think it through.. :)
There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle. - Albert Einstein

Fig Jam and Lime Cordial
Previous