Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What I learned today

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What I learned today

by Jenise » Mon Dec 20, 2021 8:29 pm

Today I learned that I need a safety belt. The kind used on construction sites for working at heights where you hook yourself up to something so if you fall, you won't drop 30 feet to your death. Of course, in my kitchen heights aren't the issue, but distractions are. I put a tray of thinly sliced baguettes into the oven today, set the timer for four minutes and made sure I had nothing else to do. Just stand there and check them at three minutes. But Bob, seeing me just standing there and thinking that meant I was doing nothing at all, invited me into the dining room to review the table settings....

Yes, they burned. And no, I didn't have another loaf.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Dec 20, 2021 10:30 pm

I always set the timer for such tasks exactly because "Look, a squirrel!"

Maybe you just need a louder one. :wink:
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Tue Dec 21, 2021 1:25 pm

I have occasional problems with pots boiling over because I've tried to do too much multitasking.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:36 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:I always set the timer for such tasks exactly because "Look, a squirrel!"

Maybe you just need a louder one. :wink:

I *did* set the timer--for four minutes, though, not three. And by four, it was too late. I was supposed to be there monitoring the whole time.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:57 am

So last night I learned how well Japanese short grain rice does standing in for an arborio type when risotto's on the menu and it turns out that Japanese short grain's the only game you've got. Usually have carnaroli--out. Usually have bomba--out. All I had in the short rice department was Japanese, grown in California but so much finer than a typical Calrose. They're very small, polished grains with a great mouthfeel. Turned out great! Because they're so small there's a shorter window in which the rice is perfectly cooked, but unlike toasting the little crostinis the other day I managed to stay at the stove and nail it.

Oh, I found the rice on Amazon which I may have to avail myself of. Haven't been able to get to Seattle recently to pick any up, and this isn't available around here.

https://www.amazon.com/Tamanishiki-Supe ... 121&sr=1-4
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Dec 23, 2021 11:54 am

I burned a batch of croutons last week because I turned away from the stove, had the heat too high, and got involved with cleaning the sink. By the time I turned to check on them, the pan was smoking and the bottoms of the bread were very dark. Used them anyway, as the salad was just for me. They were just OK. Usually, I set timers for such things as filling or draining water from the pool, and for many cooking chores, so I can leave the room to do something else. It is hard for me just to stand and do nothing, always something to do.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Dec 23, 2021 3:08 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote:It is hard for me just to stand and do nothing, always something to do.

You remind me of a funny cartoon I once saw (a different version than this one but the same idea): https://keyassets.timeincuk.net/inspire ... coffee.jpg
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Dec 23, 2021 8:30 pm

Karen/NoCA wrote: Usually, I set timers for such things as filling or draining water from the pool, and for many cooking chores, so I can leave the room to do something else. It is hard for me just to stand and do nothing, always something to do.

Same problem, and I'm easily distracted. I have no excuse--it's so easy to set the timer now that Alexa's my timer. No gadget to fiddle with, just talk. And even then I blow it.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Dec 25, 2021 3:48 pm

Years ago, a friend told me to get a small timer with a light rope to go around your neck. I have used that thing for years. If I am just going to be in the next room, I don't bother because it is loud.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Dec 26, 2021 6:07 pm

Karen, I had a pocket sized one that I loved. No rope, but I generally have a pocket somewhere (even my bra will do). It died two days before Bob installed an Alexa. I had fully intended to replace the pocket guy but after using Alexa--forget it!

Yesterday I learned that Butterball turkeys are pretty damned good. A friend made one, and the white meat was awesome. Zillion times better than the last super expensive organic heritage bird I made (which was very dry even though I brined it and deliberately undercooked it allowing for less fat). I may give up on turkey.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Dec 26, 2021 7:02 pm

Jenise wrote:Zillion times better than the last super expensive organic heritage bird I made (which was very dry even though I brined it and deliberately undercooked it allowing for less fat). I may give up on turkey.

Butterballs are OK for sandwich meat.

Not sure what kind of heritage bird you had but I've had very good success with them. As far as preparation, I think the key to success is to roast it breast-down for 2/3 of the cooking time, inverting it only for the home stretch. That allows the juices to run into the breast meat for most of it.

I have had good luck rubbing a compound butter under the skin of a capon but haven't tried it on a turkey yet.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Dec 26, 2021 8:30 pm

Jenise wrote:Karen, I had a pocket sized one that I loved. No rope, but I generally have a pocket somewhere (even my bra will do). It died two days before Bob installed an Alexa. I had fully intended to replace the pocket guy but after using Alexa--forget it!

Yesterday I learned that Butterball turkeys are pretty damned good. A friend made one, and the white meat was awesome. Zillion times better than the last super expensive organic heritage bird I made (which was very dry even though I brined it and deliberately undercooked it allowing for less fat). I may give up on turkey.

My favorite timer is an old Radio Shack timer. I'm very impressed with both its engineering and its logic.

Speaking of turkey. It was weird this year. Usually I can gnaw on leftover turkey for several days in numerous ways. Not this year. I burned out almost immediately. I went to a Xmas party last night, where there was both ham and turkey. I ate several pieces of ham, but tasted a small piece of turkey and could hardly eat it. I discovered I'm really and truly totally burned out on turkey. :?
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Mon Dec 27, 2021 1:06 pm

My husband owned a meat cutting business before we got married. He and his staff only carried Butter Ball turkeys. I have cooked so many turkeys, for so many years and the only method I ever trusted was Pandora's turkey method. Using an old Weber Charcoal grill with the dome lid. All vents open, certain poundage of turkey and charcoal is used, It cooks for three hours with no peeking----ever. This frees up the oven, which is a big plus for those who only have one oven.
https://www.robinettefarms.com/post/pan ... p-the-oven
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:32 pm

Larry--I feel your pain. Turkey or ham? Don't make me choose, turkey, you won't win! Yet I love a good roast chicken and better than anything else, a capon, which I believe Jeff did this year. Used to see capons and roasted them often (loved to debone and stuff them), but haven't seen one in a few years.

Karen, great technique. Tough to do stuff like that, though, in cold climates.
no avatar
User

Pat G

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:48 am

by Pat G » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:41 pm

We learned this weekend that we got a gift card from:

https://sunbasket.com/

One of those meal kit to your door places. Never used this type of service, presumed that the QPR isn't there. But this is a gift, so we will use.

Any thoughts or experiences? Probably have enough for 3 kits or so, with marked-up shipping.
no avatar
User

DanS

Rank

Ultra geek

Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:10 pm

by DanS » Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:54 pm

Jenise wrote:Zillion times better than the last super expensive organic heritage bird I made (which was very dry even though I brined it and deliberately undercooked it allowing for less fat). I may give up on turkey.

I've cooked a few heritage turkeys and while the flavor was good. The heritage bird needs to be cooked differently. Higher heat and shorter time. I will stick to my Lobels (My wife called it the airlifting of the bird).

I could never give up turkey. I don't cook it as often as I like since you can't get a bird fit for a single person. There are a couple of restaurants near me (and a turkey farm) offering turkey dinner as a regular menu item. With the exception of the restaurant around the corner and the turkey farm, they are pretty good. As my wife would say, even a bad turkey dinner is still pretty good. I'd disagree on the "bad" and substitute "mediocre" but otherwise agree
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:53 pm

Jenise wrote:Larry--I feel your pain. Turkey or ham? Don't make me choose, turkey, you won't win! Yet I love a good roast chicken and better than anything else, a capon, which I believe Jeff did this year. Used to see capons and roasted them often (loved to debone and stuff them), but haven't seen one in a few years.

It's been a while since I cooked a capon, but yum! When I was young we sometimes substituted a capon for Thanksgiving turkey.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:24 pm

Pat G wrote:Any thoughts or experiences? Probably have enough for 3 kits or so, with marked-up shipping.

Zero experience. I love to cook and I cook very well so no need for help. I know some people who have used them because cooking or shopping has become a burden, however most who fall into that category never really loved cooking anyway. They have a place, but can't give advice because I'd never do it.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Dec 28, 2021 1:15 pm

Jenise wrote:Larry--I feel your pain. Turkey or ham? Don't make me choose, turkey, you won't win! Yet I love a good roast chicken and better than anything else, a capon, which I believe Jeff did this year. Used to see capons and roasted them often (loved to debone and stuff them), but haven't seen one in a few years.

Karen, great technique. Tough to do stuff like that, though, in cold climates.

It is plenty cold here in the winter, snowing now on the other side of town, and has been highs of in the 40's. Never a problem with the turkey. We just set up the Weber out on the patio, fire it up and let it cook. We do not have it under the eves of the house, but a ways out so as not to get any smoke into the house. Work fine. We have not done it in the rain, however!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Dec 29, 2021 11:41 am

Short-length barbecuing of any kind at 40F isn't a problem, but we're down in the teens now. It was 13F here yesterday! A three hour charcoal grilling session would be tough to maintain.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Wed Dec 29, 2021 12:50 pm

That is getting very cold, we are scheduled to be in the high 20's here soon. Not looking forward to that.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Fri Dec 31, 2021 1:30 pm

Pat G wrote:Any thoughts or experiences? Probably have enough for 3 kits or so, with marked-up shipping.

No personal experience, but our elder son had regular* deliveries from Gousto (which is one of several similar firms in the UK.)

He was very pleased with them because he could try new dishes without having to buy (for example) a container of spice when only a teaspoon was needed, so he didn't get left with stuff he wouldn't use again.

After a year or more he stopped getting deliveries from them and used their recipe cards to make his favourite dishes, buying the ingredients locally, knowing that he'd be making the dish again so he could use the spices etc in future.

*Here one has to sign up, and that involves regular deliveries.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jan 14, 2022 3:30 pm

Turkey - white meat is the common form, although tasty enough for what it is.

Dark meat is the foie gras of turkey - juicy, delicious and rarely second rate.

It is interesting that people like one or the other but rarely value both equally.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jan 14, 2022 4:19 pm

Bill, I'm the person who likes both equally as long as both are properly cooked. Dark that's not cooked enough or white that's overcooked will send me over to the other side. And that's after the oyster--THE best part of the whole bird--is taken out of consideration.
PreviousNext