Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Move over, habanero

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

Move over, habanero

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:49 am

Paul Bosland, prof. at NMSU, has discovered the world's hottest chile pepper, Bhut Jolokia, in the Assam region of northeastern India.

Bhut Jolokia measures at 1,001,304 Scoville units, nearly twice as hot as the Red Savina, which was the record holder. Jalapenos measure about 10,000 Scovilles.

Read about it and order seeds from the institute: http://spectre.nmsu.edu/dept/academic.h ... 0IS%20HERE!

BTW, this year's Fiery Food Festival is coming up next month. I'll be there, sampling hot stuff from around the world.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: Move over, habanero

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:59 am

Larry Greenly wrote:BTW, this year's Fiery Food Festival is coming up next month. I'll be there, sampling hot stuff from around the world.

I always go too. A friend of mine comes in from out of state to vend. Great fun!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:35 pm

I know the guy who started the whole thing (and, coincidentally, another friend was the original publisher of Chile Pepper magazine), so between that and the fact that I'm a Scovie food judge, I get free tickets for times the public isn't allowed. A lot fewer people.

One of my recurring complaints is people who come with stollers seating one, two or four toddlers trying to make it through the aisles, which are packed like sardine cans. What are they thinking?

What stand does your friend have?
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:36 pm

Way Down South In Indiana, USA

by Redwinger » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:40 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:What are they thinking?

Larrry,
Unfortunately, they are only thinking of themselves.
Bill
Smile, it gives your face something to do!
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:42 pm

Redwinger wrote:

Larrry,
Bill

Where are you originally from? You have quite a Scottish burr. :wink:

Do you have those huge car-shaped grocery carts that haul kids around at your grocery store? They're about the size of a small SUV and make it nearly impossible to navigate the aisles--particularly with all the free-standing displays cluttering the aisles.
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:47 pm

http://wildpepper.com/home.htm

Jim Campbell. Sweetheart of a guy and a professional firefighter to boot.

His products are fantastic... extemely flavorful. Grows his own chiles. He also sponsors a camping weekend every autumn and actually lets friends into his fields to pick whatever they want to have. He plants special fields just for this event and even takes requests in the winter for what varieties people want him to plant! Did I say we call him Saint James? :wink:

He generally gets me in during the non-public times too. That's the only way to go!

I missed last year due to work stuff, so I'm looking forward to getting there again this year.

And yes, the strollers drive me nuts too.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:56 pm

I think I remember their booth. Are they wearing some firefighter stuff?
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

The Third Coast

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:33 pm

Yep, that's them. Jim and whichever friend comes along to help always wear their bunker gear, well, at least the pants. That garb is HOT! And the booth has a firefighting theme too.

This year they are in the front main wide aisle about halfway up from the entrance.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:30 pm

I can't even imagine a pepper that hot. Yow. Order seeds? I don't think so!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sat Feb 17, 2007 3:39 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:
Redwinger wrote:

Larrry,
Bill

Where are you originally from? You have quite a Scottish burr. :wink:

Do you have those huge car-shaped grocery carts that haul kids around at your grocery store? They're about the size of a small SUV and make it nearly impossible to navigate the aisles--particularly with all the free-standing displays cluttering the aisles.

That bit of edginess you detect is probably from growing up in NYC and living with a grandfather who was a truck driver and also a Teamster. :roll:
Ahhh, those SUV sized shopping carts....don't even get me going on those.
BP
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 17, 2007 4:34 pm

Actually, I was referring to the way you pronounced my name, "Larrry." Ah, New Yawk.... My wife lived there for a while--back when Eastern Airlines still existed. She picked up a Boston accent (a wahk in the pawk, etc.) because of all the Bostonians who worked in her office.
no avatar
User

Warren Edwardes

Rank

Ultra geek

Thu Feb 15, 2007 2:01 pm

London UK

by Warren Edwardes » Sat Feb 17, 2007 7:43 pm

Chilli Festival Fans visiting England should attend The West Dean Chilli Fiesta.

http://www.dc3.co.uk/wfs/events.htm#11-12/8/07 (that's 11th August)

I will have a stand as usual but no time to talk. Manic. Great fun. And Salsa music. And dancing on the lawns. Pity I can never visit.
no avatar
User

Carl K

Rank

Wine geek

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:12 am

Charleston, SC

by Carl K » Sat Feb 17, 2007 11:46 pm

Redwinger wrote:
Larry Greenly wrote:
Redwinger wrote:

Larrry,
Bill

Ahhh, those SUV sized shopping carts....don't even get me going on those.
BP

I will admit they can be a bit of a pain, and they're not that easy to drive either. However, speaking as a father who has two kids under the age of 8, they can be one h#@* of a lifesaver at times (like when Kristi is at school and I have both kids with me). Still, when they're operated by those who Robert D Raffort would call "Ding Bat Mommies and Hang Dog Daddies" they're worse than a Chevy "Suburb" on Market Street.
no avatar
User

Redwinger

Rank

Wine guru

by Redwinger » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:01 am

OK, while we are on shopping carts, let me support some more thread drift. What really drives me nuts (did you hear the one about the Scot who walks into a bar with a steering wheel under his kilt :lol: ) is when I grab a shopping cart from the tangled mass and the handle is coated with some sticky gooey candy/chocolate (at least I hope it was chocolate). Yuck...at least some of the stores are now providing disinfecting wipes near where the carts are stored. I never fail to use them and I don't consider myself to be Howard Hughes-esque.
There now I feel better and ready for my second cup of coffee.
Bill
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:37 pm

Most of our stores provide wipes--a good idea.

I invariably pick a cart that needs a front end alignment or has a flat spot on one of the wheels. Puk...puk...puk...puk...puk. At least it alerts shoppers to get out of my way.

How about those shoppers who sneak up behind you and suddenly start yelling into their cellphone about what brand of beans to buy?
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:16 pm

Larry Greenly wrote:Paul Bosland, prof. at NMSU, has discovered the world's hottest chile pepper, Bhut Jolokia, in the Assam region of northeastern India.

Bhut Jolokia measures at 1,001,304 Scoville units, nearly twice as hot as the Red Savina, which was the record holder. Jalapenos measure about 10,000 Scovilles.

Read about it and order seeds from the institute: http://spectre.nmsu.edu/dept/academic.h ... 0IS%20HERE!

BTW, this year's Fiery Food Festival is coming up next month. I'll be there, sampling hot stuff from around the world.

You know, I love hot and spicy foods. Being a Native Californian, I was pretty much weened on the hot stuff. But sometimes hot is just plain too hot.

IMHO, it shouldn't be painful to eat a well made chilli or salsa. I say, leave the excessive BTU's for the fireplace or BBQ.

Yike! :shock:
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:03 am

Food producers will use it in their products to save money: they won't have to use as much.
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:13 am

Larry Greenly wrote:Food producers will use it in their products to save money: they won't have to use as much.

I suppose that's a good thing, right?
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:26 am

To quote Martha: "It's a good thing."

The Fiery Foods Festival opens in six days. Hot! Hot! Hot! Wonder if they'll have any seeds of that new pepper. I'm also going to see if I can pry my wife away from taxes for a couple of hours and take her to see the spectacle.

http://www.fiery-foods.com/shows.asp
no avatar
User

TimMc

by TimMc » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:59 pm

Have a blast, Larry! :D