Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Fennel, potato, and leek gratin

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

RCP: Fennel, potato, and leek gratin

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:44 pm

Copied from this month's IOTM thread, for RCP posterity:
When fennel was officially announced, my first thought involved getting it into a dessert. But my more sensible wife immediately settled on a gratin as a good first step. So tonight, I made a potato and fennel gratin from Bon Appetit, via Epicurious. Not difficult and very tasty. (I did leave the fronds out of the gratin, and it still came out very nicely.)

Potato and Fennel Gratin (from the Nov. 1999 Bon Appetit), serves 8 - 10:

2 T. butter
3 c. chopped leeks (white and pale green parts only, about 4 large)

3 medium-size fresh fennel bulbs with fronds, trimmed, cored, thinly sliced, with fronds reserved
2 lb. red potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
1 1/2 c. freshly grated Parmesan cheese (about 4 1/2 oz)

1 1/2 c. chicken stock or low-salt canned chicken broth
1 c. whipping cream

Preheat oven to 375°F. Butter a 13 x 9 x 2 inch glass baking dish. Melt 2 T. butter in a large non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add leeks, cook until tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat.

Chop enough fennel fronds to measure 1/2 cup; set aside. Discard any remaining fennel fronds. Arrange half of the fennel slices in the prepared baking dish; sprinkle with 1/4 cup of the fennel fronds, salt, and pepper. Top with half of the sliced potatoes in a single layer. Arrange half of the leek mixture over. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper. Sprinkle with half of grated Parmesan. Repeat layering with remaining fennel slices, fennel fronds, potatoes, leek mixture, and Parmesan cheese. Sprinkle generously with salt and pepper.

Bring chicken stock and whipped cream to a boil. Pour mixture over potato gratin. Bake uncovered until vegetables are very tender, liquid is almost all aborbed, and top is a deep golden brown, about 1 hour 10 minutes.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Cynthia Wenslow

Rank

Pizza Princess

Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:32 pm

The Third Coast

Re: RCP: Fennel, potato, and leek gratin

by Cynthia Wenslow » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:46 pm

Thanks, Mike. This sounds wonderful.

My local grocery did not have fennel last night, but I think some of the more upscale places like Whole Paycheck or Wild Oats will.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

Re: RCP: Fennel, potato, and leek gratin

by Mike Filigenzi » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:14 pm

Strangely, our local grocery store didn't have it yesterday either. I got mine at the food co-op.

Mike
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child