Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

What have U never made that U shoulda got round to by now?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: What have U never made that U shoulda got round to by no

by Jenise » Sun Jul 04, 2021 1:57 pm

That's two more than I've made! I have ideas though; I always have ideas.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jul 04, 2021 2:30 pm

Jenise wrote:That's two more than I've made! I have ideas though; I always have ideas.

I know you do - that's why I have to keep in practice! :mrgreen: :twisted: :mrgreen:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:56 pm

I was showing my brother in law pictures of my various terrines over the years. It's actually an impressive body of work. Only one loser, a cold lamb ballotine, but I plated it with slices of a saffron-scented carrot terrine as a side dish which everybody loved, so even then my course wasn't a total loss.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:04 pm

Yeah - we've maintained an amazingly high level over many years. Been a lot of fun!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:31 pm

How many years now? 18?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:54 pm

Think it is 16 - first one was in 2004 and last one was in 2019 (but I didn't get around to posting the notes).
https://www.rhodoworld.com/food-and-wine.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:47 pm

So our next one will be Terrine XVII. Can't wait!!!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:49 pm

Me too! Hopefully we won't be doing it in December......hmmm - plum pudding galantine?
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 05, 2021 8:51 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Me too! Hopefully we won't be doing it in December......hmmm - plum pudding galantine?

Goose. Far preferable to an undigested bit of boiled beef.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:31 am

Lobster! While I love lobster and have enjoyed it at many homes, I have yet to cook it myself. Scares me to death. Had it at a friend's home in Hillsboro, OR done on the bbq and it was amazing. My good friend and neighbor cooked it in butter and it came out so succulent. Still, I cannot bring myself to do it. Crazy!
I cook a lot and will try almost anything, as long as I have a recipe to follow for the first time around with something new. :oops:
Last edited by Karen/NoCA on Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:54 am

Jeff Grossman wrote:
Bill Spohn wrote:Me too! Hopefully we won't be doing it in December......hmmm - plum pudding galantine?

Goose. Far preferable to an undigested bit of boiled beef.

The problem with goose is that despite being a large bird, it has remarkably little meat on it. You can feed four on a average goose and I do like the flavour, but for 6-8 people I lack the room to cook two of them. Well, that and an unfortunate little colloquy when I misunderstood a guest's answer when I asked if they'd like a little goose......
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:58 am

Karen/NoCA wrote:Lobster! While I love lobster and have enjoyed it at many homes, I have yet to cook it myself. Scares me to death.

I too have an issue with dropping the beasts in boiling water and then slamming a lid on them. Has something to do with them banging on the lid to get out with swiftly decreasing vigour. Unsettling to the point that I have only done it once.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 31, 2021 3:37 pm

Why Bill, I never suspected you of having that kind of sensitivity!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Aug 01, 2021 10:06 am

Ah yes, now that you mention that, I do believe that is the reason I have not done it. Cannot imagine putting a live creature into a vessel of boiling water. Shivers. Actually, your comment opened up some memories...now I recall calling our local meat shop and asking them if I were to buy lobster tails, would they cook them for me....NOPE. They do so many wonderful things for customers, but that was not one they had started yet. Many places will cook lobster for customers. Maybe I should ask again since now they have a huge bbq on Saturdays and sell all sorts of yummy things. Why not throw in a few lobsters...
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:02 pm

Lobsters get boiled. Don't anthropomorphize them... that way leads to... veganism. :shock: :shock: :shock:

If you like, you can drive the point of a knife into the body right behind the head to kill them instantly.

My monger sells frozen lobster tails (in three sizes!) and it's just a chunk of food, no neurons involved. :)

--

I trust everyone here has seen "Annie Hall" ?

And you know "The World's Worst Recipe" ?
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Aug 01, 2021 1:16 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:

If you like, you can drive the point of a knife into the body right behind the head to kill them instantly.

But I expect that they would be pithed off..... :twisted:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:56 pm

I'm kinda with Jeff. Not that I'm willing to go put a bullet in a cow's head, but to some extent maybe we should all take more responsibility for taking the lives of what we eat. We go through this every summer when we catch crabs. Bob apologizes to them before he lowers that ball-peen hammer.

True story: my best friend was the PR rep for one of the BC First Nation bands (aka Native American tribes in the U.S.). She travelled with them to some event sponsored by RFK Jr back east (she even got to visit the Kennedy compound!), and there was a celebratory dinner at a seafood restaurant wherein you walk through a lobby with a giant lobster tank in its center. At some point the bandmembers started disappearing and didn't return. Sensing a problem, my friend went to check things out and found the men surrounding the lobster tank, holding hands and chanting.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:01 am

One of my most memorable vacations was Whole Hog Week at La Villa Bonita in Topazland,Mexico. We went to a farm out in the hinterlands where an American was living off the grid and raising her food and animals. We had Chef Dom Domingo with us. The owner insisted on killing the animal she was selling to us herself, which she did with and electric shock between the eyes on the forehead after which Chef Dom and his guys strung it up by her hind legs, and you can imagine the rest. I was the only female in the group who watched (and filmed) it from beginning to end. The next day the tour group (8 of us) butchered the animal into commercial parts and cooked it all different parts and ways the entire week. One of the most fascinating things I’ve ever seen/done in my life. Not sure I could boil a lobster live though. Though I have done so with many Dungeness crabs.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Tue Aug 03, 2021 4:22 am

“Stunning the crustacean by chilling it in cold air or an ice slurry - saltwater or freshwater, according to the species - for at least 20 minutes.
Once the lobster is stunned, it should be mechanically killed as quickly as possible, says the RSPCA, by splitting it along the longitudinal midline on its underside. This can be done without first stunning the animal, but it cannot be considered as entirely humane as it takes even the most experienced person several seconds to carry out”

This came up on a quick search. I’ve generally placed in the freezer for 20 minutes and then into the pot.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:33 pm

Barb Downunder wrote:This came up on a quick search. I’ve generally placed in the freezer for 20 minutes and then into the pot.

And headfirst.
no avatar
User

Jim Cassidy

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:00 pm

Salt Lake City

by Jim Cassidy » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:34 am

I'm going to pretend I answered this one a couple of weeks ago, because I knocked two off my list last week.

I made ratatouille for the first time. Really tasty, but a bit of a problem with the eggplant. The recipe called for leaving the skin on. I was using porch-grown ichibans; there was a lot of skin for the volume of eggplant, and I wonder if the ichibans have tougher skin than European cousins.

And I picked 23 pounds of blueberries, and canned 10 pints and 20 half-pints of them. Unbelievably good. I like the French Bonne Maman (sp?) blueberry preserves we've been buy for a few years, but the ones I picked and canned were vastly superior.

Does anyone know why it is not called jarring?
Last edited by Jim Cassidy on Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Cassidy

Owner, Millcreek Vineyards

(The prettiest vineyard in the Salt Lake Valley)
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 04, 2021 10:21 am

From Quora:

Why is canning called canning and not jarring?

Canning was short for putting foodstuff up in Canisters, whether they be made of wood, clay, or tin. When glass jars came into being, food was put into glass jars, then put in a Canister to keep light from ruining the food stored in glass. The term Canning just hung around as packaging methods improved.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Wed Aug 04, 2021 11:26 am

Larry, do you see some irony in the earliest sort of container used to preserve food/drink, the amphora, now being the darling of winery ad men and winemakers. In tastings of amphora aged wine vs same wine made conventionally I remain unconvinced that there is anything to it - there seems to be as much or more variation between different barrel treatments.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:13 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:Larry, do you see some irony in the earliest sort of container used to preserve food/drink, the amphora, now being the darling of winery ad men and winemakers. In tastings of amphora aged wine vs same wine made conventionally I remain unconvinced that there is anything to it - there seems to be as much or more variation between different barrel treatments.

Actually, I haven't heard anything about that. But I would tend to agree with you.
Previous