Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: "Subtle" Lima Beans

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spencer

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:03 pm

Yuma, Arizona

RCP: "Subtle" Lima Beans

by Bill Spencer » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:03 pm

%^)

Lima beans have always fallen pretty far down my list of "likable" green vegetables ... the flavor always seemed too "green" ... and while I've seen descriptions of "soft, starchy creaminess", they've always seemed more "pasty" than creamy ... here's a recipe adapted from "Burt Wolf's Menu Cookbook" that seems to "subtle" out part of the lima bean flavor that is offputting to me and does, IMHO, make them a bit more creamy ...

Two 10 oz. packages frozen Lima beans
1 C Water
2 T Fresh lemon juice
1/2 t Salt

For sauce:
2 T Butter
Grated zest of 1 Lemon
6 Scallions, thinly sliced
1 large clove fresh Garlic, minced
2 t Fresh rosemary, chopped
Pinch of cayenne pepper
3/4 t Salt
1 T Fresh parsley, chopped

In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the lima beans, water, lemon juice, and salt ... cook for 5 to 7 minutes or until the lima bean are just tender ... drain the beans and set aside ...

In a small saute pan over medium-low heat, melt the butter ... add the lemon zest, scallions, garlic, rosemary, and cayenne pepper ... cook for about 2 minutes or until the scallions just begin to soften ... stir in the salt ... add the cooked lima beans to the sauce, stir, and heat thoroughly ... stir in the parsley, remove from heat, and serve ...

Aproximately 4 servings

Clink !

%^)
"If there are no dogs in heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went !" - Anonymous

Napa is for auto parts, Paso is for wine !

Bill Spencer (Arizona Wine Lover)

Lemon Recipes - http://www.associatedcitrus.com/recipes.html
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: RCP: "Subtle" Lima Beans

by Jenise » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:12 pm

Pasty, eh? I can see what you mean if you're using the larger fordhook beans, though I personally like that about them. Have you tried baby limas? They're a little crunchier, not so pasty. You might enjoy edamames (soy beans) as a substitute, too--similar flavor, different texture and definitely not pasty.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:21 pm

Bill, I am not a big lima bean fan, but I love butterbeans. I made a big pot of butterbean soup to go with the cold weather last week. I used a 1 pound bag of large white butterbeans, soaked them overnight. Next day I put them to cooking in a stock pot with water covering the beans by about 4 inches. During the intervening time, I minced a carrot, a rib of celery, a medium sized yellow onion and 4 cloves of garlic. While the beans were cooking I dumped the vegs in and added one bay leaf and a large pinch of kosher salt. at serving time I added a few grinds of black pepper and a little more salt. Served in a bowl with a demi baguette of very crusty bread. YUM!
Last edited by Bob Henrick on Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:30 pm

Know this is a delicate subject, but here is what we do:

Take frozen fordhooks (10 or 16 oz), but into heavy saucepan, cover with chicken stock; add chives, some EVOO, lotsa granulated garlic, salt & pepper. Cook down into all liquid is evaporated. Wonderful!