Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Vegetable stuffings

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Vegetable stuffings

by Barb Downunder » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:24 am

My vegetarian S-I-L is coming for a few days later in the month and I’m working on menus.
I’m thinking of for one meal serving a platter of stuffed vegetables and loooking for ideas for this.
She eats dairy, fortunately, but not spicy heat.
Other possible menu plans are
1. Japanese : miso soup, veggie gyoza, teriyaki tofu, tempura beans and sweet
Potato
2. Hearty barley and vegetables soup with homemade bread
3. Lasagne or moussaka
4. The pub!
I’ll have fruit and a cheesecake lurking in the house for filling up corners.
no avatar
User

Matilda L

Rank

Sparkling Red Riding Hood

Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:48 am

Adelaide, South Australia

Re: Vegetable stuffings

by Matilda L » Thu Jul 08, 2021 4:40 am

My daughter in law is vegetarian, and the Francophile and I often eschew meat dishes during the week, so quick and tasty vegetarian dishes often make an appearance at our place.

Vege risottos are handy, eg Leek and Mushroom, or Pumpkin with Feta and/or Spinach. I can't provide a recipe, I usually make them up as I go along, "some" of this, "some" of that. Stews of lentils, chick peas, beans (black-eyed, kidney, white beans, etc) are nice, too - I usually go for a tomato-based sauce but that's more about the way my taste buds run. I like to cook in a tagine - if you have one, a selection of fairly ordinary root veges takes on a whole new character done in a tagine with a spicy sauce.

Regarding stuffed veges: this isn't really stuffed veges, but from time to time I bake a layer of root vegetables, squash, and zucchinis in a tray or large casserole dish, and then spoon a thick lentil stew over each vegetable before serving. Coating rather than stuffing, I guess.
no avatar
User

Peter May

Rank

Pinotage Advocate

Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:24 am

Snorbens, England

by Peter May » Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:25 am

Long time ago one of the UKs influential writers, Shirley Conran wrote a book called 'Superwoman' aimed at busy women in which she stated that 'Life is too short to stuff a mushroom'.

No help to you, but a few days of non-meat meals wouldn't bother me because we have a lot of them.
Tonight I'm roasting cauliflower steaks and okra served with tarka dhall. On Tuesday we had penne with aubergine in a tomato and basil sauce..

regulars also are vegetable curry, pizza, chilli san carne (I use crushed chickpeas instead of meat but others use lentils) with pitta, Greek style beans with salad and a hunk of bread....
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 08, 2021 11:54 am

Ramen (get a good veggie broth instead of pork broth but the rest is noodles and vegetables and egg)

Thicken up that barley/veg soup, or make a non-tomato ratatouille, cover with mash and... Shepherdess Pie

In addition to Peter's idea of cauliflower steaks, you can also make steaks from celery knob

Seitan tetrazzini!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Thu Jul 08, 2021 3:30 pm

Jeff Grossman wrote:Thicken up that barley/veg soup, or make a non-tomato ratatouille, cover with mash and... Shepherdess Pie

Speaking of that, I laughed out loud a few days ago listening to Angela Lansbury singing her role in Sweeney Todd wherein she bragged to Len Cariou about her Shepherds Pie containing "a real shepherd!"

Stuffed vegetables--love this. Very common in Armenian cooking to stuff an array of vegetables--tomatoes, onions, zucchini or small patty pan style squashes would be typical. The stuffings would be all one or variations of bulgur wheat or rice.

Pastas are super vegetarian friendly, of course. A favorite in this household is a pesto made from broccoli rabe and blended with toasted walnuts and the other usual suspects.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Thu Jul 08, 2021 8:55 pm

Jenise wrote:A favorite in this household is a pesto made from broccoli rabe and blended with toasted walnuts and the other usual suspects.

A friend of mine says he's going to bring me some of his sage-pistachio pesto. Looking forward to it!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:37 am

Oooh!!! Never had a sage pesto, but what's not to love about sage and pistachios? Another new favorite here is dinosaur kale and flat leaf parsley with the standard pine nuts. The result is an intense, deep emerald green that looks cool on penne.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:55 pm

You could make my favorite pizza:

1/3 whole wheat, 2/3 white flour crust. Knead in some herbs right at the end before proofing.

Top the pizza with a little bit of tomato sauce, a layer of spinach (you can pre-cook the spinach to reduce water - you just need a lot more to cover the pizza), a layer (yes a layer) of fresh basil, cheese of your choice, and then chopped garlic and pine nuts. Bake.

Been making that pizza for over 20 years.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

by Barb Downunder » Sat Jul 10, 2021 4:44 am

Lots of good ideas happening here, as was to be expected.
Thank you alll.
She is not coming over (she’s in Perth on the other side of the country) until August now so lots of time
To a) think
B) forget til the last minutes
C) lose the plan and start again,
But it gives me just enough time to make a Camembert if I get my skates on.