Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Stag Meals

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Stag Meals

by Jenise » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:29 pm

Jeff and I started having this conversation about stag meals in the What's Cooking thread. That thing you eat when your spousal unit isn't there to frown on your choice because they wouldn't eat it, or wouldn't eat it at that time of day, or would expect other items on a more complex menu where for you it's a mono-meal.

For Jeff last night it was a carbonara to which he added the extra indulgence of eating straight out of the bowl. For me late Tuesday morning when Bob was off at his "old man breakfast" with other retirees, it was a mono-meal bowl of creamed peas seasoned with lemon juice and so much white pepper it's hot. I wouldn't be above eating that for dinner, either, but breakfast is when I enjoy it most and I have no idea why.

What are your go-to stag meals?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: Stag Meals

by Rahsaan » Fri Jul 09, 2021 5:48 pm

Usually it's seafood items that my wife doesn't like: soft-shelled crabs or clams. Sometimes I'll buy them for myself and cook her something else, but easier to enjoy when she's not here and I can just focus on them!
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:02 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Usually it's seafood items that my wife doesn't like: soft-shelled crabs or clams. Sometimes I'll buy them for myself and cook her something else, but easier to enjoy when she's not here and I can just focus on them!

Same here for me and clam chowder or pasta with a butter-garlic-clam sauce from canned clams. Bob can't eat either and I love them.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Fri Jul 09, 2021 10:30 pm

Omigod, when my fishmonger introduced me to ocean clams in a can, I was just blown away. Canned clams! It's like saying "canned asparagus" or "Lipton's Cup-o-Lobster-Thermidor"... just can't be any good. But they are! In fact, they're great.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:03 am

They are indeed. That said, I probably should buy fresh clams more often to prepare for myself since they're local and plentiful up here.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:42 am

My go to stag meal is either a noodle or rice bowl. I regularly make Asian inspired meatballs and keep them in a plastic bag in the freezer. When I get the craving for something fast and delicious to eat I'll pop 2-3 of them in the microwave with a couple tablespoons of frozen stir fried veggies that I also keep in plastic bags for just such an occasion. A hard boiled egg, a few pickled onions (or other pickle), something crunchy and a squeeze of schiracha on top of my prepared noodles or rice and I'm off to nirvana.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:29 am

A piece of pan sautéed fish or scallops. Laura hates both, so when she’s gone I eat all the fish I can.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Sun Jul 18, 2021 10:34 am

There are only two of us now, and when I really do not want to be in the kitchen, my very favorite thing to do is toss a Yukon Gold potato in the oven, and cook a couple of artichokes. In summer, I will slice up a plate of beautiful tomatoes to add to the simple meal. I love my baked potatoes with a sprinkle of coarse salt and a drizzle of Worcestershire Sauce. Hubby likes butter on his when he remembers to put it on. I also keep homemade soups in the freezer, along with chili, and pasta sauces made from our fresh tomatoes. Another go-to is Tomato and Bacon sandwiches on whole grain, thick-sliced bread.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sun Jul 18, 2021 1:38 pm

Dig out a frozen pastry shell, sauté some chanterelles with shallots then add whipping cream and some thyme with a dram of Madeira and fill the cooked pastry shell. Open a Pinot or certain Italian wines and enjoy (and hide the makings before SWMBO returns).
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jul 19, 2021 7:40 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Dig out a frozen pastry shell, sauté some chanterelles with shallots then add whipping cream and some thyme with a dram of Madeira and fill the cooked pastry shell. Open a Pinot or certain Italian wines and enjoy (and hide the makings before SWMBO returns).

Which part of that meal does she not like? It all sounds pretty attractive!
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:05 am

For some reason SWMBO is now more of a protein seeker than I am. Needs red meat to keep her going.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:21 am

Bill Spohn wrote:For some reason SWMBO is now more of a protein seeker than I am. Needs red meat to keep her going.

Aha.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:31 am

So in other words, she would be more apt to seek the benison of venison than I would. (Should have put that in the words thread!)