Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

RCP: Chicken Tikka

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

RCP: Chicken Tikka

by Jenise » Sun Jul 11, 2021 2:29 pm

You all might laugh, but one of my favorite cookbooks is Food & Wine's Reinventing the Classics. And it's really more a collection of recipes than a cookbook per se, as it doesn't represent a singular point of view or attempt to teach. Why is it a favorite? Because I want to eat everything in it; it's almost like they compiled it just for me so much is everything so well suited to my general style of cooking and penchant for well-seasoned food. As the title suggests, nearly every dish resonates as familiar on some level, but none are exactly what I've known before. And most are categorically better than what I've known before.

This Chicken Tikka is a perfect example. Attributed to chef Vikram Sunderam of Rasika in Washington DC it's "reinvented" in two main ways: It's unskewered, for one, and the wonderful savory marinade replaces Garam Marsala with Chinese Five Spice Powder. Not that there's anything wrong with Garam Marsala, but I enjoyed the difference. Thought I'd share.

Ingredients:

1 Tblsp mustard seeds
1 tsp Chinese 5 spice
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp cayenne pepper
1 tsp turmeric
1 bay leaf
2 Tblsp minced fresh ginger
4 garlic cloves, minced
1 c plain whole milk yoghurt
kosher salt
2 lbs skinless, boneless chicken thighs cut into 2-3" pieces
2 Tblsp unsalted butter, melted

In a spice grinder, pulse the mustard seeds with the other dry spices (incl bay leaf) until fine. Transfer to a bowl large enough to hold the remaining ingredients. Mix with the yoghurt etc then add the chicken pieces. Refrigerate at least two hours. Eight is optimum.

Light a grill. Remove the chicken from the marinade and brush each with the melted butter. Season with salt. Oil the grate and grill over high heat, turning occasionally, until lightly charred. Serve with the cilantro and yoghurt sauce below:

2 c cilantro
1 c mint
1 jalapeno, seeded and coarsely chopped
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tsp ground cumin
1 Tblsp fresh lemon juice
1 c plain whole-milk yoghurt

In a blender, combine the first six ingredients and puree to a paste, then add yoghurt. Season with salt. Can be refrigerated up to two days.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: RCP: Chicken Tikka

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:29 am

This looks very good. In order to Pumpkin-ize it, I would replace the cayenne with sweet paprika, replace the cilantro with more mint, and omit the jalapeno.

Then, I'd have to think about what to sub for the turmeric because my house has none. Fenugreek? Generic curry powder? A cumin-based mix? I probably have some too-old ras el-hanout....

And then I would adjust this for the oven, unless it got lucky and was ready on a grilling day.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:35 am

I wouldn't replace the turmeric, I'd just leave it out. But for the rest, you're on your own. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:54 am

The turmeric is there to give the dish a yellow color. It has very little intrinsic flavor. Either leave it out or use a tiny bit of yellow food coloring.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:00 pm

Laura would definitely eat the chicken!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:20 pm

How about a little curry powder that has a lot of turmeric?