Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Fat Tuesday

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Lexington, KY

Fat Tuesday

by Jeff Yeast » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:29 pm

In celebration of Mardis Gras, Leslie and I are wanting to prepare a Cajun/Creole dinner tomorrow night. We already have tested and tasty recipes for Red Beans and Rice and Jambalaya, but we're looking for a good Chicken Etouffee. Any suggestions?

And, although I'll probably be drinking Dixie's Blackened Voodoo beer, I'd appreciate any wine recommendations.

Thanks! 8)
Last edited by Jeff Yeast on Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
no avatar
User

ChefCarey

Re: Fat Tuesday

by ChefCarey » Mon Feb 19, 2007 3:53 pm

Jeff Yeast wrote:In celebration of Mardis Gras, Leslie and I are wanting to prepare a Cajun/Creole dinner tomorrow night. We already have tested and tasty recipes for Red Beans and Rice and Jambalaya, but we're looking for a good Chicken Etouffee. Any suggestions?

And, although I'll probably be drinking Dixie's Blackened Voodoo beer, I'd appreciate and wine recommendations.

Thanks! 8)

My suggestion?

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/de ... s&n=507846
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:02 pm

Sorry, no Chicken Etouffee, but I do have a tasty recipe for Shrimp Creole that I can post if you want. We usually do an off-dry Riesling with it. I imagine the same would work with any cajun/creole dishes.
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

by Howie Hart » Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:22 pm

Somehow, in our family, it has become known as "Pancake Tuesday", so I usually make some special fruit pancakes and breakfast sausage.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:23 pm

For the money, why don't you go to the Master -- Paul Prudhomme! He started the Cajun-Creole craze about 25 years ago. He is the reason we have blackened everything in this country. And his cuisine is reminiscent of the back country cooking of my youth (born and bred in Louisiana). I've been to his restaurant, K-Paul's, in New Orleans. I've also been to Emerils and NOLAs in Louisiana. I would call Emeril's cuisine Louisiana fusion, which is hit and miss. But, if I could have wrapped K-Pauls menu (1 of everything to go) and put it into my suitcase and traded my husband's airplane seat for my package of goodies, I would have done it and not looked back. I've made several (all of his gumbos and jumbalayas) from his cookbook. Never a bad dish (watch out for the amount of pepper he calls for -- unless you have an asbestos tongue). I was pleased to get a bread basket in his restaurant that had every bread reciped in his cookbook -- and they tasted the same. (I have made the jalapeno cheese and the molasses bread -- FABULOUS! He didn't leave anything out of the recipe). I thought of copying the recipe for you here, but the step-by-step how to runs for 2 pages. (Don't be daunted by that, it's very easy, most of the text is dedicated to making sure you get the roux the right color and texture.) But, if you like Louisiana food, do your self a favor a buy the book (hardcover). Rather than wait for it to arrive from Amazon, you will probably find a used copy in a discount/used bookstore in your area. Call around first. Good luck!

http://www.amazon.com/Chef-Paul-Prudhom ... F8&s=books
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:46 pm

We're having Jambalaya with the lustiest red wine we can find:

Cook a cup of brown rice in two cups of water, and set aside.

Nuke 2 chopped onions, a minced green pepper, and a minced stalk of celery in 1 T of bacon fat and two of OO.

Transfer veggies (not rice) to a 4 quart Dutch oven. Add 2 T parsley, 1 T oregano, and 1 T thyme chopped together (or dry equivelant), 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1/2 tsp granulated garlic, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, 1/2 tsp Tabasco or your favorite, and a 1 lb 12 oz can good crushed tomatoes. Simmer together for 45 minutes.

Add a pound of shrimp and cook until pink. Add a 1/2 pound of diced ham and the rice, and warm through. Sprinkle some green stuff on top and serve.
no avatar
User

Jeff Yeast

Rank

Wine geek

Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:12 pm

Lexington, KY

by Jeff Yeast » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:31 am

Linda R. (NC) wrote:Sorry, no Chicken Etouffee, but I do have a tasty recipe for Shrimp Creole that I can post if you want. We usually do an off-dry Riesling with it. I imagine the same would work with any cajun/creole dishes.

Linda,

Please do, that sounds good!
no avatar
User

Linda R. (NC)

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:09 pm

North Carolina

by Linda R. (NC) » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:24 am

Jeff, I posted the shrimp creole recipe. Enjoy!
no avatar
User

Jon Peterson

Rank

The Court Winer

Sat Apr 08, 2006 5:53 pm

The Blue Crab State

by Jon Peterson » Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:33 pm

Like Howie, pancakes and bacon 'til the cows come home, or midnight, whichever comes first.
Tomorrow I give up bread and chocolate and hard liquor.
no avatar
User

Gary Barlettano

Rank

Pappone di Vino

Wed Mar 29, 2006 5:50 pm

In a gallon jug far, far away ...

Re: Fat Tuesday (HELAU!!)

by Gary Barlettano » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:17 pm

Jon Peterson wrote:Tomorrow I give up bread and chocolate and hard liquor.

I'm giving up making Lenten promises I can't keep.

Mainz! Ach, das waren noch Zeiten! Helau!!

Narhallamarsch
And now what?