Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Seafood prices are soaring!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Seafood prices are soaring!

by Jenise » Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:16 pm

And restaurants are cutting back.

From today's Seattle Times:

No crabs, no scallops: Seafood is vanishing from menus in U.S.
Adam Jackson
July 27, 2021 at 10:14 am Updated July 27, 2021 at 4:31 pm
At the Clam, there are no scallops.
Prices went “crazy,” says Mike Price, who co-owns the Greenwich Village restaurant, and so he yanked them off the menu. Over in Napa Valley, Phil Tessier, the executive chef at a popular spot called PRESS, did the same. And in Atlanta, at the tapas joint the Iberian Pig, chef Josue Pena didn’t stop at scallops. The Alaskan halibut and blue crab are gone, too.
That last one was a killer, Pena says. Crab croquettes had become a signature dish. “People were like, ‘What’s up?'” But, he says, with wholesale costs soaring like they are, “the price we had to charge to be profitable was almost insulting.”
For restaurants across the U.S., the reopening from COVID lockdown has been anything but easy. They’ve struggled to hire back enough waiters and chefs, often being forced to dangle double-digit pay hikes, and have been rocked by cost increases and shortages on all kinds of items — from condiment packets to takeout packaging and chicken wings. So this jump in seafood prices, part of the broader inflationary surge working its way through the U.S. economy, is only further squeezing restaurateurs just when they were supposed to be raking in cash as they recover from all those months lost to the pandemic.
Seafood prices rose about 11% in the 12 months through early July from the previous period, according to NielsenIQ. Stretch out the time horizon a little, Pena says, and the increases on certain hard-to-find products are much starker yet. A pound of halibut, he says, goes for $28 from the local seafood distributor he buys from in Atlanta. Before the pandemic, it was $16 at most. And blue crab has gone from $18 a pound to $44. But at least he can find crab. In Orlando, Brennan Heretick, co-owner of High Tide Harry’s, had to stop selling crab fingers because wholesalers in the region stopped offering them.
Just like in dozens of other overwhelmed industries in the booming economy, there are any number of factors causing the shortages and price spikes: The ports are congested; there aren’t enough fishermen; there aren’t enough truck drivers; and demand for seafood at restaurants is soaring.
“Distributors used to hustle and bustle to get your business,” says Jay Herrington, who owns Fish On Fire, a restaurant that’s a 10-minute drive from Heretick’s place. Now, “you don’t get a delivery, or it’s a late delivery. Sometimes we have to go and pick it up.” That’s something he’d never seen before. Herrington recently raised entree prices, which range from $10 to $20, by as much as $3 to offset the higher costs. “There’s just no stopping it,” he says.
Herrington’s headache is part of the broader backlog at U.S. ports that has sparked complaints for consumers and companies across the U.S. economy and is a major driver of the higher prices, according to Gavin Gibbons, vice president of communications at the National Fisheries Institute. Labor shortages have caused “serious delays,” he said in an email. He estimated that port-related costs are on track to be 20 times higher for the group’s member companies than last year.
A lack of fishermen is another fundamental problem. When restaurants shut down during the pandemic, it meant that a key buyer evaporated, according to a report by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. That resulted in financial losses for many in the industry and forced them to find work in new areas. Additionally, most fishermen in the U.S. are older than 40 and few young people are entering the field, according to Michael Priebel, manager of Keys Fisheries in Marathon, Florida.
“A lot of people went into construction,” he said. “We see less and less people coming back every year because they are getting old and fishing is getting more expensive.”
The hurdles don’t stop there. Higher prices for cod, for example, are due to a shortage of shipping containers, according to Sysco, which is one of the world’s largest food distributors and wholesalers. Lobster, meanwhile, has seen low inventory since COVID-19 restrictions in Canada last summer reduced boat crews going out to sea for prime-season catching, Sysco said in an email. Supplies are currently being replenished as Maine’s season progresses, but prices remain high due to elevated demand.
Back at High Tide Harry’s in Orlando, Heretick says he’s now struggling to find crab legs as well as the claws he needs for his crab fingers dish.
The price on the crab meat he does find has more than doubled since January. Ditto for lobster. Then he rattles off a bunch of other cost increases he’s been hit with: paper products, liquor, bamboo cocktail skewers, gloves. He says those last two items are each up 200% or more. There are higher labor costs, too. Heretick recently bumped cooks up to $16 an hour and doled out increases to hosts and wait staff, too.
So far, he’s eaten much of the higher costs, opting to keep prices mostly stable on the menu — which lists the fried oysters dish at $19.99 and the shrimp-and-scallop scampi at $24.99 — as he welcomes old customers back. He can’t keep going on like this, though, he says. One recent month, High Tide Harry’s raked in record revenue and yet Heretick was saddled with a $14,000 loss.
“We hope,” he says, “that when we do have to have a little bit of a price increase, that everybody’s understanding that we did everything we could.”
Kate Krader
Adam Jackson
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

Re: Seafood prices are soaring!

by Karen/NoCA » Fri Jul 30, 2021 11:11 am

I just bought Chilean Sea Bass at a local meat shop, they seemed to have a good supply of that and lots of other seafood in their seafood area. Also, picked up a 2 lb package of large shrimp, uncooked from Pacific Seafood which serves our local, neighborhood grocery store. They had plenty for right now anyway. I also buy a few things from Schwans now and then. One of the products I like for a quick dinner is their wild-caught cod, encrusted with ancient grains, quinoa, oats, and seeds. It crisps up nicely in the oven and is a decent product.
Here is a link to our local meat and seafood shop for the weekly seafood specials.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/ ... educed.jpg
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 30, 2021 12:43 pm

Those prices are comparable to what we're paying up here, Karen. Identical on fresh alaskan halibut and swordfish to what I saw yesterday at Whole Foods (where, in fact, I was in search of halibut--I'm going to do a 2.5 lb halibut roast for dinner today.) But of course this article is about wholesale, not retail. Not that it's not inevitable that we'll see the impact at retail eventually, too. We're already seeing it here to some extent--lobster has all but disappeared. (But lamb's back! I bought two roasts yesterday at Costco.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:17 pm

Jenise wrote:From today's Seattle Times:

No crabs, no scallops: Seafood is vanishing from menus in U.S.

It's Obama's fault. :roll:
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Jul 30, 2021 3:19 pm

Obama's SO 5 o'clock. Nobody even thinks about him anymore. No, it's Pelosi's fault!
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:13 am

That halibut roast sounds intriguing, how are you doing it?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Jul 31, 2021 11:19 am

Karen, I cedar-planked it. Rubbed the flesh part with EVOO (avoiding the skin, because you want it to stick to the plank) and sprinkled it with Penzey's Northwest seasoning. Ideally, the skin does stick such that with just a thin spatula you can cut and lift the servings away. Really delicious way to cook fish on a warm summer night.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:52 pm

Jenise wrote:Ideally, the skin does stick such that with just a thin spatula you can cut and lift the servings away.

Fascinating. I would never have thought of that. Pumpkin and I usually like fish skin so I give everything the salmon skin treatment, if it's at all possible.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 01, 2021 4:35 pm

Then cedar planking isn't for you. You could always cedar plank the filets, and fry the skin separately. I don't care for the skin, personally.
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:47 am

Aren't cedar planks supposed to be reusable?
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:09 pm

Depends on how much you let catch on fire in the first go-round whether you'd be able to use that plank again. We've used some twice, but mostly we toss them out.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Aug 05, 2021 11:14 am

I love grilling fish on a cedar plank, and the fact that the skin stays with the plank is a real perk. Have not done that in a while. I think I will do it with the Chilean sea bass. Best way to cook fish IMHO.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:48 pm

Karen, my halibut skin didn't stick to the plank. Turns out it was Pacific Halibut which is very very wet fish, not Alaskan as I'd planned, and that's why. (The fish dept at Whole Foods lied to me.)
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

by Karen/NoCA » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:08 pm

Jenise wrote:Karen, my halibut skin didn't stick to the plank. Turns out it was Pacific Halibut which is very very wet fish, not Alaskan as I'd planned, and that's why. (The fish dept at Whole Foods lied to me.)

I did not know that, how interesting. How did you find out? Will watch for that the next time I purchase Halibut.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:02 pm

It's a huge difference. We lived in Alaska and I know the exceptional flavor and dry texture of the Alaskan halibut--it's my favorite fish. The two don't even deserve to be called by the same name. The Pacific's very wet and virtually flavorless (which is no substitute for 'mild').
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Aug 11, 2021 3:54 pm

Are you saying they are different species? Atlantic and Pacific are separate, but I think Alaskan are simply pacific.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 11, 2021 6:53 pm

I don't know if they're different species. Could be the difference in water temperature. But if they aren't they might as well be. They're no more alike than tuna and salmon. Stores around here are very careful to label them one way or the other--it's never just halibut.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Wed Aug 11, 2021 7:08 pm

Just checked a few sites. Must be the water--they are apparently the same species. But like I said earlier, in flavor, looks (cooked) and texture, not even close.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Aug 23, 2021 11:26 am

It's not just seafood prices. They cryo-pack flank steak that I bought recently was hideously expensive.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Aug 24, 2021 11:43 am

Yeah. Beef (any steak, you name it) is running $15-18/lb.