Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Thought for the day

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Thought for the day

by Paul Winalski » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:17 pm

I saw this on a sign outside a restaurant in town:

"I want to grow my own food, but I can't find any bacon seeds."

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: Thought for the day

by Jenise » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:55 pm

That would be Bill Spohn. :)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

by Christina Georgina » Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:36 pm

A Wisconsin Thought For The Day: Ban Shredded Packaged Cheese. Make America Grate Again
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sat Aug 14, 2021 12:54 pm

LOL, both of you. And I really appreciate the sentiment about grating cheese--it's not the same, folks! Doesn't taste as good! Grate your own, always!

While we're at it, should we dump on 'Baby Carrots'?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:23 am

The last pre-grated 'parmesan' that I bought (supermarket brand, not Kraft green can) smelled like baby barf. Since then I buy parmigiano reggiano and grate it myself. The mini food processor is great (grate?) for this.

I haven't seen cheese in a spray can in a while. Then again, I haven't gone looking for it. Long ago, in a food bulletin board I ran on Digital Equipment Corporation's internal corporate network, someone remarked, "I don't know why they call it 'pasteurized processed cheese food'. I put some in my fridge and the cheese won't touch it."

Regarding 'baby carrots', I assume they're just pieces cut from big carrots and trimmed en gousse.

I've noticed that Chinese and other Asian markets often carry these really huge carrots. But I've never seen a recipe that calls for them. Who uses them, and how?

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Aug 15, 2021 2:39 pm

Paul Winalski wrote:The last pre-grated 'parmesan' that I bought (supermarket brand, not Kraft green can) smelled like baby barf. Since then I buy parmigiano reggiano and grate it myself. The mini food processor is great (grate?) for this.

Regarding 'baby carrots', I assume they're just pieces cut from big carrots and trimmed en gousse.

I've noticed that Chinese and other Asian markets often carry these really huge carrots. But I've never seen a recipe that calls for them. Who uses them, and how?

-Paul W.

I grate my Parmesan with a microblade. The pre-grated cheese has a coating of starch or cellulose (tasty if you're a termite) to keep it from clumping, and it doesn't melt as well.

The baby carrots are really baby-cut carrots, cut from larger carrots bred to be coreless and sweeter than regular carrots.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Sun Aug 15, 2021 3:47 pm

Larry, I had no idea they were a special breed of carrot. I just firmly believe that the kind of person who would buy those flavorless precut/machine-tumbled carrots is the same person who buys pre-grated cheese--and believes both are "just fine".
no avatar
User

Larry Greenly

Rank

Resident Chile Head

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:37 am

Albuquerque, NM

by Larry Greenly » Sun Aug 15, 2021 8:54 pm

I'm on your side.
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:05 pm

Baby carrots .... HAIR ON FIRE !!!! Just finished 28 pints of garlic dilled pickled carrots. Vinegar and salt brine, lots of dill, garlic and a Thai bird chili. They are so popular with family and friends that they are the standard Christmas gift. I buy from a Hmong farmer and the size does change over the season with about 25 % loss after top, tail and peel. The Ball bible of canning and preserving mentions that baby carrots can be substituted for ease of packing and processing.... HOW COULD THEY ????
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

by Christina Georgina » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:08 pm

Paul, in our family the Kraft green tube of grated parmesan is referred to as Green Death .....
Mamma Mia !