Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Speaking of pickles....

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Speaking of pickles....

by Christina Georgina » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:33 pm

I love pickled foods and at any given time homemade quick pickles are in my fridge. From pickled red onion, pickled yellow mustard seed, pickled cauliflower, red pepper, ginger, almost anything that is season at the Farmer's Market or in surplus in the home garden is preserved as a quick pickle. They are so handy for jazzing up a salad or sandwich or cold plate lunch or main dinner plate and serve as an impetus to using them in unusual ways because I really dislike to waste things....thus the pickle in the first place.
I refer to Sean Brock Heritage and Einat Admony Balaboosta cookbooks for some of my ideas for spicing.
A pickle plate appetizer at Graze, Tory Miller's gastropub in Madison, Wisconsin several years ago was a revelation. Perfectly harmonious yet in different brines and seasonings asparagus, rhubarb, ramps got me started on the pickle passion.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jeff Grossman

Rank

That 'pumpkin' guy

Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:56 am

NYC

Re: Speaking of pickles....

by Jeff Grossman » Mon Aug 16, 2021 3:25 am

I'm sold. I only rarely make pickles but I love eating them.
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

Re: Speaking of pickles....

by Jo Ann Henderson » Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:36 am

I'm with you, Christina. I love pickled vegetables of all kinds. I usually have some kind of quick pickle in my fridge as well. Almost can't eat some foods without a pickle nearby. I have an affinity for Japanese pickles and I have learned how to make my own. This year I am going to pickle collard green stems from the recipe in SOUL. I had a little on the side of a rice bowl I picked up at a corner bistro earlier in the year. That little hit of fermented veggie really played well with the other flavors in the bowl and it was one of those "why didn't I think of that" moments for me.
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon