Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Plant based butters

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Plant based butters

by Jenise » Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:55 pm

Today, on a bowl of steamed squash, we're trying Myoko's plant-based butter out of Sonoma. Coconut oil and cashews are the first two ingredients listed. I tasted the coconut before I read the box, and I tasted the butter before I put it on our food. Don't love it but it's not bad, and if I could never eat animal butter again I'd get used to it. Probably more on vegetables than on a baked potato. We currently use Earth Balance spread, which is plant-based, for toast.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Christina Georgina

Rank

Wisconsin Wondercook

Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:37 pm

Re: Plant based butters

by Christina Georgina » Thu Aug 19, 2021 8:21 pm

Oh my... I would rather have a tiny bit of the real deal than anything else. I grew up skimming the cream from the milk of our cows and then churning in a wooden bucket. Those taste memories are indelible.
I totally endorse plant sources of vitamins, omega 3 fatty acids etc but in fact, the nutrient density of our current commercial foods is sadly deficient compared to the early 20th century. So we compromise in many ways but I err on the side of taste.
Mamma Mia !
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Aug 20, 2021 10:23 am

The real deal would never not be my preference, Christina, but I'm exploring plant-based alternatives for other reasons. Earth Balance is great for toast. I almost never make toast, but my husband does for himself almost every morning. He butters the bread before it goes into the toaster oven, so he needs an easy-spreader and likes the flavor of Earth Balance.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Aug 20, 2021 12:11 pm

Vegan margarine has been around for nearly a century. I suppose this product differs from margarine in that it uses a fat that's naturally solid at room temperature rather than hydrogenating a liquid fat?

-Paul W.