Everything about food, from matching food and wine to recipes, techniques and trends.

Nasturtiums

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Nasturtiums

by Jenise » Wed Sep 29, 2021 7:53 pm

Do you grow and use nasturtiums in your cooking? I grow some every year. Love the leaves in salads, and I've soaked flowers white wine vinegar to make a peppery version of same. Here's a recipe for an emulsified sauce to pour over grilled corn on the cob by my friend Jay Blackinton (a recent Food & Wine Best New Chef). My nasturtiums haven't died back yet, so if I can still get the corn it's not too late for me to try this.

4 ounces nasturtium leaves
2 tblsp Dijon mustard
2 tblsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 c grapeseed oil

Buzz the above in a good processor or blender then pour over corn, husked and brushed with butter before charring. Salt optional (the mustard will bring a lot of salt).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Barb Downunder

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 18, 2009 6:31 am

Re: Nasturtiums

by Barb Downunder » Thu Sep 30, 2021 4:25 am

Jenise, we planted nasturtiums once, about ten years ago. They stilll appear all over the place every year! I use the leaves and petals for a peppery hit in salads. I’ve also put up some “poor man’s capers” ie pickled seeds, which, whilst not really so much like capers are good to fling around in dishes where a little vinegary, spicy crunch is a good thing.
That sauce sounds interesting I’ll give a try when corn is good.
no avatar
User

Karen/NoCA

Rank

Hunter/Gatherer

Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:55 pm

by Karen/NoCA » Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:31 am

Every now and then I catch Rachael Ray because she has a guest on that I want to see. I often see her use fresh flowers (which she has delivered every week) as a garnish over a dish she prepares. It makes the dish look very pretty. I used to plant edible flowers, but do not do it anymore. I have never seen them offered in any of our local grocery stores, either. The nasturtiums idea sounds like fun.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:10 pm

I have tried them and agree that the spiciness is pleasant. I don't grow them (although I grow just about everything else) as we only have room for so much. Plus they tend to spread.....
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:53 pm

Bill Spohn wrote:I have tried them and agree that the spiciness is pleasant. I don't grow them (although I grow just about everything else) as we only have room for so much. Plus they tend to spread.....

I put them in a tall pot. Haven't had any come back--have to replant each season.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Sep 30, 2021 1:03 pm

Jenise wrote:I put them in a tall pot. Haven't had any come back--have to replant each season.

That I could do!
no avatar
User

Jo Ann Henderson

Rank

Mealtime Maven

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:34 am

Seattle, WA USA

by Jo Ann Henderson » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:44 am

For some reason, every time I plant nasturtiums they get infested with powdery mildew. Does anyone know a way to prevent that?
"...To undersalt deliberately in the name of dietary chic is to omit from the music of cookery the indispensable bass line over which all tastes and smells form their harmonies." -- Robert Farrar Capon
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:32 am

Interesting. I don't get the mildew, and yet my courtyard where I plant these is very susceptible to mildew. There are other things I can't plant there.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:19 pm

Never cooked with nasturtiums. I've done quite a bit with dried day lilies, though.

-Paul W.